1 hr 35 mins
I got this off of a Sicilian Culture web site.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 large eggplant, unpeeled, cut in 1/2 inch cubes
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 green pepper, seeded and chopped
- 6 tomatoes, ripe and chopped or 1 (14 ounce) can crushed tomatoes
- 1/2 cup chopped green olives
- 3 minced garlic cloves
- 1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1/3 cup red wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1 1/2 teaspoons dried basil
- 1 tablespoon capers, chopped
- 1Combine all ingredients in a large enameled or stainless steel pot.
- 2Bring to a healthy simmer, stirring occasionally.
- 3You can cook this over low heat uncovered for about an hour, or cover it and cook it over very low heat for several hours.
- 4The slow stewing method blends the flavors very nicely, and the caponata is great reheated.
- 5Serve with garlic bread or croistini.
- 6If you decide to freeze this, it will stay for 2 months.
Browse Our Top Vegetable Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Eggplant (Aubergine) Caponata
Serving Size: 1 (229 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 210.7
- Calories from Fat 127
- Total Fat 14.2 g
- Saturated Fat 1.9 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 615.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 20.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 5.9 g
- Sugars 13.3 g
- Protein 2.7 g