Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
I got this off of a Sicilian Culture web site.
Make and share this Eggplant (Aubergine) Caponata recipe from Food.com.
- 1 large eggplant, unpeeled, cut in 1/2 inch cubes
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 green pepper, seeded and chopped
- 6 tomatoes, ripe and chopped or 1 (14 ounce) can crushed tomatoes
- 1⁄2 cup chopped green olives
- 3 minced garlic cloves
- 1⁄3 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1⁄3 cup red wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons dried basil
- 1 tablespoon capers, chopped
- Combine all ingredients in a large enameled or stainless steel pot.
- Bring to a healthy simmer, stirring occasionally.
- You can cook this over low heat uncovered for about an hour, or cover it and cook it over very low heat for several hours.
- The slow stewing method blends the flavors very nicely, and the caponata is great reheated.
- Serve with garlic bread or croistini.
- If you decide to freeze this, it will stay for 2 months.
Great recipe. I might shorten the cooking time a bit, especially if using the slow simmer approach. I might also decrease the vinegar just a bit. However, this is a one pot, no bowls, easily prepared recipe which is wonderful.
Great recipe, and soooo easy to make! I strongly advise to use only 1 tbs of sugar. You can always add more towards the end of cooking... I also replace half the vinegar with red wine. Thanks for sharing!
A great vegetarian/vegan dish, but everyone loved it. I used brown sugar and kalamata olives instead of green.