1 hr 45 mins
Chef Mean Green's Note:
I saw this recipe on the foodnetwork channel, courtesy of Giada De Laurentis. You need a 9 in. springform pan.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 medium eggplants, sliced 1/4-inch thick
- 1/3 cup olive oil, plus
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1/2 lb penne pasta
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1/2 lb ground beef
- 1/2 lb Italian pork sausage
- 1/4 cup marsala wine
- 1 cup frozen peas, thawed
- 2 cups store-bought marinara sauce
- 1 1/2 cups diced smoked mozzarella cheese (about 6 ounces)
- 3/4 cup grated pecorino romano cheese, plus 1/4 cup
- 1 cup chopped fresh basil leaf
- 1Place a grill pan over medium-high heat or pre-heat a gas or charcoal grill. Using a pastry brush, lightly brush the eggplant slices with 1/3 cup olive oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- 2Grill the eggplant until tender and colored with grill marks, about 4 minutes per side. Set aside.
- 3Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil over high heat.
- 4Add the pasta and cook until tender but still firm to the bite, stirring occasionally, about 8 to 10 minutes. Drain pasta.
- 5Meanwhile, warm the 2 tablespoons of olive oil in a large skillet.
- 6Add the onion and saute until tender, about 3 minutes. Add the beef and pork, and brown the meat, breaking it into bite-sized pieces with a wooden spoon, about 5 minutes.
- 7Add the Marsala and cook until the liquid has evaporated, about 3 minutes. Turn off the heat.
- 8Add the peas and marinara sauce and stir to combine.
- 9Add the cheeses, basil, and cooked pasta. Set aside.
- 10Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- 11Line the springform pan with the grilled eggplant.
- 12Be sure that the slices overlap and hang over the edge of the pan.
- 13Fill the pan with the pasta mixture, pressing down to make sure the pan is filling up evenly.
- 14Fold the eggplant slices up over the top of the pasta and add a few more slices on top to completely enclose the timbale.
- 15Bake the timbale until warmed through and the cheese has melted, about 30 minutes. Let rest on the counter for 10 minutes to set.
- 16To serve, invert the timbale onto a serving plate and remove the springform pan.
- 17Sprinkle the remaining 1/4 cup grated Pecorino Romano cheese over the top.
- 18Slice and serve.
Browse Our Top Vegetable Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Eggplant Timbale
Serving Size: 1 (524 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 992.7
- Calories from Fat 501
- Total Fat 55.6 g
- Saturated Fat 16.1 g
- Cholesterol 77.5 mg
- Sodium 1316.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 84.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 20.9 g
- Sugars 17.6 g
- Protein 29.7 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
pecorino romano cheese