Prep 5 mins
Cook 18 mins
Adapted from a recipe in Rick Tramonto's _Osteria_. Eggs are poached in a diavolo (spicy tomato) sauce. Use his Pomodoro Sauce for the most authentic recipe.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes (to taste)
- 4 cups fresh tomato sauce
- 8 large eggs
- 1⁄2 cup freshly grated parmigiano-reggiano cheese
- In a large skillet, heat the red pepper flakes in the oil until they become aromatic. Add the tomato sauce and stir well.
- When sauce is hot and bubbly, crack the eggs and slide them into the sauce. Cover and simmer on low heat 7-10 minutes, until the whites are firm and opaque but the yolks are still runny.
- Serve 2 eggs and 1/4 of the sauce to each diner. Sprinkle each bowl with 2 tbsp grated cheese.