This refreshingly sweet salad is a tasty culinary delight. Yes you can use barley in place of the farro. But try to get it. It is so chewy and yummy!
- 2 cups hot water
- 1 cup cracked farro, perlato rinsed and picked over
- salt (to season)
- 4 tablespoons fig balsamic vinegar
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- salt and pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried Italian spices
- 1 teaspoon fresh basil, minced
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- red pepper flakes, to taste
- 3⁄4 cup minced onion
- 1 cup minced cucumber, seeded and peeled
- 1 cup diced tomato
- 2 tablespoons sun-dried tomatoes packed in oil, minced
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 2 tablespoons pine nuts, toasted rough chopped
- 1 ounce shredded pecorino romano cheese
- In a pot with the hot water seasoned with salt, add farro. Simmer for 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a large bowl stir together dressing ingredients.
- Add the rest of the salad ingredients and toss.
- When farro is tender, remove from heat; rinse in cool water and drain. Add drained farro to salad ingredients.
- Tasty as is or chill and let flavors come together.
- Season with additional herbs, salt and pepper if needed.
- Garnish with fresh basil.
FABULOUS, Rita! Love it. So easy. So flavorful. Perfect side dish to just about anything! I am going to eat it luke warm for lunch and then serve it warmed up a bit to hubby for dinner as a side to a veggie burger! I left out the cucumber, only because I didn't have any. . .otherwise made recipe spot on! Made as a recipenap for Veg*n Tag December 2009. UPDATE: I made this delightful recipe today, leaving off the cheese and adding Kalamata olives to replace that zing. Perfect Vegan dish for this Ash Wednesday!
Have made this salad several times now and it is the one everyone asks me to make for dinners and events now. In a pinch I have used the Kraft Fig Balsamic Salad dressing when I could not find the fig balsamic vinegar and it was equally as good.
LOVED this! I used spelt instead of farro, which may be farro, but I'm not sure. It was chewy and nutty like farro. The pine nuts helped bring out the nuttiness. Just the right amount of spices. I did add some red pepper flakes. I also added half a chopped orange pepper because I had leftover in the fridge. Beautiful and colorful salad. I will add to my favorites and make this again. Thanks Rita!