This refreshingly sweet salad is a tasty culinary delight. Yes you can use barley in place of the farro. But try to get it. It is so chewy and yummy!
- 2 cups hot water
- 1 cup cracked farro, perlato rinsed and picked over
- salt (to season)
- 4 tablespoons fig balsamic vinegar
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- salt and pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried Italian spices
- 1 teaspoon fresh basil, minced
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- red pepper flakes, to taste
- 3⁄4 cup minced onion
- 1 cup minced cucumber, seeded and peeled
- 1 cup diced tomato
- 2 tablespoons sun-dried tomatoes packed in oil, minced
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 2 tablespoons pine nuts, toasted rough chopped
- 1 ounce shredded pecorino romano cheese
- In a pot with the hot water seasoned with salt, add farro. Simmer for 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a large bowl stir together dressing ingredients.
- Add the rest of the salad ingredients and toss.
- When farro is tender, remove from heat; rinse in cool water and drain. Add drained farro to salad ingredients.
- Tasty as is or chill and let flavors come together.
- Season with additional herbs, salt and pepper if needed.
- Garnish with fresh basil.