This salad is chewy, crunchy, sweet, salty and most of all addictive! Farro, a Mediterranean grain, is naturally high in fiber, and contains more protein than wheat. So enjoy it!
- 2 cups hot water
- 1 cup cracked farro, perlato rinsed and picked over
- salt (to season)
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 3 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- salt and pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon Italian spices
- 1 teaspoon fresh tarragon or 1 teaspoon fresh basil, minced
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- red pepper flakes
- 3⁄4 cup minced red onion
- 1 cup minced zucchini
- 1 cup diced tomato
- 2 tablespoons sun-dried tomatoes packed in oil, minced
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 2 tablespoons walnuts, toasted rough chopped
- 1 ounce shredded pecorino romano cheese
- In a pot with the hot water seasoned with salt, add farro. Simmer for 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a large bowl stir together dressing ingredients.
- Add the rest of the salad ingredients and toss.
- When farro is tender, remove from heat; rinse in cool water and drain. Add drained farro to salad ingredients.
- Chill and let flavors come together.
- Season with additional herbs, salt and pepper if needed.
- Garnish with grated cheese if desired.
- "Mangia! Mangia!".