Prep 20 mins
Cook 20 mins
This salad is chewy, crunchy, sweet, salty and most of all addictive! Farro, a Mediterranean grain, is naturally high in fiber, and contains more protein than wheat. So enjoy it!
- 2 cups hot water
- 1 cup cracked farro, perlato rinsed and picked over
- salt (to season)
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 3 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- salt and pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon Italian spices
- 1 teaspoon fresh tarragon or 1 teaspoon fresh basil, minced
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- red pepper flakes
- 3⁄4 cup minced red onion
- 1 cup minced zucchini
- 1 cup diced tomato
- 2 tablespoons sun-dried tomatoes packed in oil, minced
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 2 tablespoons walnuts, toasted rough chopped
- 1 ounce shredded pecorino romano cheese
- In a pot with the hot water seasoned with salt, add farro. Simmer for 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a large bowl stir together dressing ingredients.
- Add the rest of the salad ingredients and toss.
- When farro is tender, remove from heat; rinse in cool water and drain. Add drained farro to salad ingredients.
- Chill and let flavors come together.
- Season with additional herbs, salt and pepper if needed.
- Garnish with grated cheese if desired.
- "Mangia! Mangia!".
AMAZING! I have just tucked this recipe into my "best of the best" file. Wow. I think I'm in love with farro. I had never tried it before and it is now my new favorite grain. Everything about this salad is wonderful. The dressing is absolutely delicious (I used the fresh basil option). The salad ingredients are perfect and I wouldn't recommend skipping any of them. The toasted walnuts and sun-dried tomatoes are such excellent additions. Thank you!
Made this salad today for DH and I for lunch. We ate nearly the whole thing ourselves. This is healthy and filling. Very tasty. I made no substitutions and used the fresh basil option. Loved the toasted walnuts. We tried it with the Pecorino. I liked the cheese, but DH felt it did not add anything to the salad and after trying it, had his other helpings without. Thanks for posting!
Farro is the Italian name for Spelt, which truly is an amazing grain. This salad is hearty and tasty and perfect for the hot summer months. I chilled it before serving. Even though I didn't have all the ingredients on hand it still tasted delicious and I will be making it again! Next time I will get all the ingredients as listed above and not try to substitute.