1/1 Photo of Favorite Lasagna
3 hrs 30 mins
Kathy Berliner's Note:
I have been making this lasagna for over 20 years. Everyone seems to love this recipe. It came from a 1973 McCalls cookbook.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 lb Italian sausage
- 1/2 lb ground beef
- 1/2 cup finely chopped onion
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons dried basil leaves
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 cup parsley
- 4 cups canned tomatoes, undrained or 1 (35 ounce) can Italian-style tomatoes
- 2 cans tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 12 curly lasagna noodles
- 1 (15 ounce) container ricotta cheese
- 1 egg
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 lb mozzarella cheese, thinly sliced
- 3/4 cup parmesan cheese, grated
- 1Remove sausage from casings, chop the meat.
- 2In 5-qt Dutch oven, over medium heat, saute sausage, ground beef, onion and garlic.
- 3Break up beef with wooden spoon.
- 4Stir frequently, until well browned- 20 minutes.
- 5Add sugar, 1TBSP salt, basil, pepper, and half the parsley; mix well.
- 6Add tomatoes, tomato paste and 1/2 cup water, mashing tomatoes with wooden spoon.
- 7Bring to boiling; reduce heat; simmer, covered and stirring occasionally, until thick- 1-1/2hours.
- 8In large 8qt pot, bring 3qts water and 1TBSP salt to boiling.
- 9Add lasagna noodes, 2 or 3 at a time.
- 10Return to boiling; boil uncovered and stirring occasionally, 10 minutes, or just until tender.
- 11Drain in colander; rinse under cold water.
- 12Dry lasagna on paper towels.
- 13Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- 14In medium bowl, combine ricotta, egg, remaining parsley, and salt; mix.
- 15In bottom of 13x9" baking dish, spoon 1-1/2 cups sauce.
- 16Layer with 6 lasagna noodes, lengthwise and overlapping, to cover.
- 17Spread with 1/2 of ricotta mixture; top with 1/3 of the mozzarella.
- 18Spoon 1-1/2 cups sauce over cheese; sprinkle with 1/4 cup Parmsesan cheese.
- 19Repeat layering, starting with 6 lasagna noodes and ending with 1-1/2 cups sauce sprinkled with Parmesen.
- 20Spread with remaining sauce, top with rest of mozzarella and Parmesan.
- 21Cover with foil.
- 22Bake 25 minutes; remove foil; bake, uncovered, 25 minutes longer or until bubbly.
- 23Cool 15 minutes before serving.
Browse Our Top Pasta, Rice and Grains Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Favorite Lasagna
Serving Size: 1 (414 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 730.2
- Calories from Fat 365
- Total Fat 40.6 g
- Saturated Fat 19.3 g
- Cholesterol 145.0 mg
- Sodium 2698.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 48.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.4 g
- Sugars 13.7 g
- Protein 43.6 g