Speciality of the restaurant Club del Doge at the Hotel Gritti Palace Venice and would normally use green tagliolini instead of fettuccine but fetuccine is more widely available.
- Melt the 1 1/2 oz of butter and stir in the flour to make a roux. Stir and brown the flour butter mixture for 3 minutes.
- Gradually add the hot milk, stiring until thick and smooth then simmer for 10 minute.
- Cook the fettuccine in boiling, salted water until al dente.
- Meanwhile melt 3/4 of the 3 1/2 oz of butter remaining and cook the proscutto.
- Drain the pasta and stir in the proscutto and about half of the sauce. Season to taste.
- Transfer to a large shallow ovenproof pan and cover with the remaining sauce. Dot with the remaining butter then cover with the Parmesan Cheese.
- Broil the dish until cheese and sauce turn a golden brown. Serve at once.