These are SO yummy with spaghetti, or as an accompaniment to a soup like minestrone for a light meal. They take a little more time than I usually like to for a side, but they are well worth it!!
- 4 green onions, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1 (6 ounce) bagfresh Baby Spinach
- 1⁄4 cup fresh basil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1 (13 7/8 ounce) packagerefrigerated pizza dough (I have used both whole wheat dough and crescent rolls with great results!)
- 1⁄4 cup crumbled feta cheese
- 2 tablespoons toasted pine nuts
- 1 tablespoon butter, melted
- 1⁄4 cup finely shredded parmesan cheese
- Preheat oven to 375. Grease 12 muffin cups and set aside.
- In a large skillet, heat 1 tablespoons oil and cook green onions and garlic until tender.
- Add spinach and basil; cook and stir over medium heat until just wilted. Drain off excess liquid. Stir in salt and pepper; set aside to cool.
- On a well-floured surface, unroll pizza dough and shape into a 12x8 rectangle. Brush surface of dough with remaining olive oil. Spread spinach mixture to within one inch of the edges of the dough. Sprinkle with feta and pine nuts.
- Starting with a long side, roll into a spiral. Slice roll into 12 pieces and place cut-side up in prepared muffin cups. Brush with butter and sprinkle with parmesan cheese.
- Bake for 18-20 minutes or until golden brown. Let stand in muffin cups for 2 minutes. Remove carefully and serve warm.
These were brilliant. A perfect accompaniment to pasta, but I think they'd probably be great as an appetiser too. I didn't have the time or inclination to make pizza dough, so I just used pre rolled shortcrust pastry. I don't know how much difference it would have made, but they were easy this way and superb!
A nice change from the usual garlic bread or breadsticks. Guests enjoyed them as much as I. TFS.
Nothing wrong with this! I made it for an appitizer, very easy, delishes with the basil! I also made a kids version with a little pizza sauce, pepperoni and mozz. cheese. I will try the crescents next time as these were pretty big. Thanks!