Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
This is the famous director's simple recipe for tomato-basil sauce. It was printed in the great cookbook, "Taste: One Palate's Journey Through the World's Greatest Dishes" by David Rosengarten. You can also top with some finely chopped fresh basil just before serving.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 3 (28 ounce) cans tomatoes, crushed and drained (imported Italian tomatoes highly recommended)
- 1 bunch fresh basil, coarsely chopped or torn
- 1 pinch red pepper flakes, crushed
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 2 lbs spaghetti, cook as directed and reserve the water
- Heat oil in a pan on on medium heat. Saute onions in oil until transparent (about 5-7 minutes). Add tomatoes, 1/4 of the basil and pepper flakes.
- Simmer about 45 minutes. Add butter and remaining basil. If sauce is too thick, add some pasta cooking water.
- Serve over pasta.