Prep 10 mins
Cook 1 hr
Put on some of "Old Blue Eye's" albums while you prepare this...sip some vino as the dish bakes. Serve with crusty garlic bread, pasta, and more red wine!
- 3 green bell peppers
- 44.37 ml olive oil
- salt and pepper
- 453.59 g hot Italian sausage
- 78.07 ml red wine
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Remove stems and seeds from the green peppers and cut into large chunks.
- In an ovenproof baking dish that can also be used on top of the stove, saute green peppers in the olive oil until they begin to soften.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Remove green peppers and set aside.
- Brown sausage in the same dish, breaking up with a spoon.
- When sausage is browned, add the red wine.
- Cover with foil and bake about 40 minutes.
- Uncover baking dish and add sauted green peppers.
- Bake an additional 30 minutes.
We loved this!!! Best sausage and peppers we've ever had! :)
so delicious! I used about a cup of Aziano Chianti Classico from Ruffino, and added a generous pinch of hot pepper flakes & dried oregano & about 7 large, fresh roughly chopped basil leaves to the peppers while they cooked. I served on crunchy, crusty rolls that I filled & broiled on high with fresh mozerella slices- amazing!! tomorrow, I'll make marinara and add the leftovers & enjoy on pasta. YUM!!
This was incredibly easy and very tasty! The only additions I made was to add a bit of marinara sauce and some melted mozzarella on to the bun at the last minute. Everyone in the house loved it!