1/2 Photos of Fresh Tomato Sauce
1 hr 15 mins
A recipe from my Great Aunt's collection. This is one she clipped out of the paper, probably the Chicago Tribune. This contains some unusual ingredients - in particular saffron and ground coriander, and the recipe also calls for steeping a bundle of herbs in the sauce as it cooks. If saffron is too costly, you can substitute dried safflower or just leave it out. Makes 3 cups sauce.
My Private Note
cups sa ...
Units: US | Metric
- 1/3 cup minced fresh onion
- 2 fresh garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 3 lbs fresh plum tomatoes, peeled, seeded, chopped
- 6 sprigs fresh thyme or 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 4 sprigs fresh parsley
- 1/2 bay leaf
- 1 inch fresh orange rind
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon basil
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon fennel seed
- 1 pinch saffron
- 1 pinch ground coriander
- 1Saute onion and garlic in olive oil in a large saucepan until tender.
- 2Stir in flour until smooth.
- 3Add tomatoes.
- 4Wrap thyme, parsley, bay leaf, and orange rind in cheesecloth, tie, and add to the pot.
- 5Add all remaining ingredients.
- 6Heat sauce to a simmer, then drop on the lid and simmer 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- 7Remove lid and simmer another 25-30 minutes, or until sauce has thickened.
- 8Remove the herb bouquet and chill sauce overnight (or freeze for later).
- 9Heat again before serving over hot cooked pasta or meats.
Browse Our Top Savory Sauces Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Fresh Tomato Sauce
Serving Size: 1 (183 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 71.8
- Calories from Fat 33
- Total Fat 3.7 g
- Saturated Fat 0.5 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 154.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 9.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.2 g
- Sugars 4.7 g
- Protein 1.8 g
The following items or measurements are not included: