Prep 40 mins
Cook 40 mins
These are excellent biscotti's made with whole wheat flour and various fruits. Makes a great snack or breakfast snack. These are another must at my house during the holidays.Makes a great gift.
- 2⁄3 cup walnuts
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon clove
- 1⁄4 teaspoon allspice
- 3⁄4 cup chopped dates or 3⁄4 cup dried apricots or 3⁄4 cup dried fruit
- Place nuts in a shallow pan and bake 325 degree oven 8 to 10 minutes, let cool.
- Cream butter and sugar;Add eggs and vanilla.
- In bowl combine flour,baking powder,salt and spices;Add to creamed mixture,mix well.
- Add chopped nuts and fold in fruit.
- Make into loaves 1/2 inch high and 2 inches wide.
- Bake in 325 degree oven,25 minutes or light brown.
- Cool 5 minutes,with a serrated knife slice diagonally at 45 degree angle about 1/2 inch thick.
- Lay slices on side, bake 10 minutes or longer to dry slightly; Let cool on rack.
- Store in a tightly covered container.
Thanks Barb for sharing this excellent recipe, I tried it with dates, once with walnuts and once with almonds, they are just great. A great option for Ramadan.
Oh Barb, these are so delicious, I will be making this recipe for every relevant seasonal gathering and maybe a few more times in-between, thank you. The biggest fan was my mother, which made me very happy. Thanks again for posting. Oh, and I used all dates!
I love biscotti now that I have dared to make Barb's delicious whole wheat ones. I used almonds and some mixed fruit, almond extract and maple sugar, with the remaining ingredients kept the same. Wonderful flavor and crunchy texture. I had to leave them in the oven for almost 20 minutes to get them dried enough. I probably just made them too fat. This is a recipe I will try again soon to see if I can perfect this technique.