Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
I first found this in Fine Cooking Magazine and adapted it for my family. It's one of the few times I will be ready-made tortellini.
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 6 -8 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup chopped onion
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 2 cups water
- 9 ounces fresh cheese tortellini or 9 ounces frozen cheese tortellini
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can diced tomatoes, with their liquid
- 10 ounces spinach, washed and stemmed,coarsely chopped
- 8 -10 basil leaves, coarsely chopped
- 1 egg
- 1⁄2 cup grated parmesan cheese
- salt and pepper
- In a large saucepan, melt the butter over medium heat.
- Add the garlic and onion and saute until fragrant, 2-3 minutes.
- Add the chicken broth and water; bring to a boil.
- Add the tortellini and cook halfway, about 5 minutes for frozen pasta, less if using fresh.
- Add the tomatoes and their liquid, reduce the heat to a simmer and cook just until the pasta is tender, about 4 minutes.
- Stir in the spinach and basil and cook until wilted, 1-2 minutes.
- Meanwhile, whisk together the egg, Parmesan cheese, salt and pepper.
- Drizzle into the soup and cook, stirring about 3 minutes more.
- Remove from heat and serve.