1/5 Photos of Gina's Summer Tomato Pie
Jackie #6's Note:
My husband & I saw this on "Down Home with the Neelys" on The Food Network the other night & thought it looked good. Tried it last night & boy were we right. It was delicious, both hot out of the oven & when it had cooled to room temperature. We were full from dinner but there were 2 pieces still on the pan, couldn't resist & they were just as good as the first bite if not more. Hope you enjoy this too.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 (9 inch) ready-made refrigerated pie crusts
- 2 large yellow tomatoes, sliced 1/4-inch thick
- 1 large tomato, sliced 1/4-inch thick
- 8 ounces fresh mozzarella cheese, sliced
- 1/4 cup fresh basil leaf, cut up
- kosher salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- extra virgin olive oil
- 1Preheat oven to 375 deg. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- 2Sprinkle flour on a work surface.
- 3Roll out pie dough to form a 10-inch circle & place on baking sheet.
- 4Overlap & alternate the different tomatoes & mozzarella (I only had red tomatoes) in the center of the dough, leaving a 3-inch border.
- 5Scatter the basil leaves on top.
- 6Sprinkle with salt & pepper & red pepper flakes.
- 7Fold the uncovered edges of the dough inward over the filling to create a pleated crust.
- 8Brush edges & top with olive oil. (Look at my pictures, watch out for holes in the edges, the water from the tomatoes will leak out.).
- 9Place in the oven & bake for 35 minutes.
- 10After about 10 minutes check for leaks & plug them.
- 11Remove from the oven to a cutting board.
- 12Slice & serve.
Browse Our Top European Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Gina's Summer Tomato Pie
Serving Size: 1 (249 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 357.1
- Calories from Fat 210
- Total Fat 23.4 g
- Saturated Fat 10.8 g
- Cholesterol 44.7 mg
- Sodium 586.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 21.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.7 g
- Sugars 3.1 g
- Protein 15.4 g