These are easy, crisp and lovely to have with coffee or tea. I usually make them at Christmas. *On a side note: this Christmas 2006, I exchanged the 3/4 cup of almonds for 3/4 cup of candied ginger, chopped fine...just yummy!
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- In a large bowl, beat sugar and butter until light and fluffy.
- Blend in eggs and vanilla.
- In separate bowl, combine spices and remaining ingredients.
- Gradually add to sugar mixture; blend until dough comes together.
- Do not overmix.
- Divide dough in half; roll each half into a 12-inch log about 1-inch in diameter.
- Place dough on ungreased cookie sheet.
- Bake 25 minutes or until lightly browned.
- Allow to cool on a baking rack 20 minutes.
- Cut log crosswise with a sharp serrated knife into 1/2-inch slices on cookie sheet.
- Bake at 350°F for 14-16 minutes or until lightly browned and crisp.
- Cool, then store in a tightly covered container.