Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
The cottage cheese melts and the flavor is great in this Italian comfort meal. Gnocchi is the Italian name for a variety of thick, soft noodles or dumpling. They are often filled with potatoes. You can usually find them in the freezer section of your grocery store by the ravioli and other frozen pastas.
- Prepare the gnocchi, according to package directions.
- While gnocchi is cooking, fry the pound of bacon in a skillet.
- Drain the bacon on paper towels and pat to remove excess grease.
- Cut or break (depending on how crispy you like your bacon) the bacon into 1-inch pieces.
- Drain the gnocchi and put back into boiling pot.
- Add cottage cheese and mix well.
- Add bacon pieces last to maintain crispness.
- Salt and pepper to taste, if desired.
- Leftovers can be heated in a pan with a little butter.
Good! Made this tonight for dinner as I had everything on hand. I used less bacon and added several sprigs of fresh thyme after reading bluemoon downunder's review. I used low-fat cottage cheese but did not find that it melted down, maybe because it was low-fat version or because my gnocchi wasn't hot enough. Thanks for posting - I don't make pasta often but would use it again.
An easy to make, no-fuss and very tasty pasta dish. I used a low-fat cottage cheese and it added as much creaminess as we wanted without adding as many calories as some of the more often used alternatives. :) Loved the bacon in this - always love bacon - but I wanted this to be a one dish meal, so although I'd used middle rashers with little fat, I only needed to add a little oil to my non-stick pan to saute some chopped garlic, onions and mushrooms with a little fresh thyme. I added only a pinch of the optional salt and several generous grindings of the optional black pepper. With bacon such a significant ingredient here, use the best you can find. We really enjoyed this, and I enjoyed some reheated next day for lunch. It reheats well in the microwave. Thanks for sharing another yummy recipe, Lainey. Made for Newest Zaar Tag.