This recipe is an easy and delicious way to dress up pre-made gnocchi. It is a light and flavourful and the zucchini ribbons make for a beautiful presentation. It also works really well with a flat pasta, like linguine. (Small shells would probably work too.) It is modified from a recipe from "EatingWell Magazine".
- 1 lb gnocchi ("fresh or frozen") or 1 lb pasta
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 medium shallots, chopped
- 1 lb zucchini, very thinly sliced lengthwise with a vegetable peeler or on a mandoline (about 3 small)
- 1 pint cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon grated nutmeg
- fresh ground pepper
- 1⁄2 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1⁄2 cup chopped fresh basil or 1⁄2 cup parsley
- Bring a large saucepan of water to a boil. Cook gnocchi according to package instructions until they float, 3 to 5 minutes. Drain.
- Meanwhile, melt butter in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Cook until the butter is beginning to brown, about 2 minutes. Add shallots and zucchini and cook, stirring often, until softened, 2 to 3 minutes. Add cherry tomatoes, salt, nutmeg and pepper and continue cooking, stirring often, until the tomatoes are just starting to break down, 1 to 2 minutes. Stir in Parmesan and parsley. Add gnocchi and toss to coat. Serve immediately.