Prep 20 mins
Cook 0 mins
This recipe is an easy and delicious way to dress up pre-made gnocchi. It is a light and flavourful and the zucchini ribbons make for a beautiful presentation. It also works really well with a flat pasta, like linguine. (Small shells would probably work too.) It is modified from a recipe from "EatingWell Magazine".
- 1 lb gnocchi ("fresh or frozen") or 1 lb pasta
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 medium shallots, chopped
- 1 lb zucchini, very thinly sliced lengthwise with a vegetable peeler or on a mandoline (about 3 small)
- 1 pint cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon grated nutmeg
- fresh ground pepper
- 1⁄2 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1⁄2 cup chopped fresh basil or 1⁄2 cup parsley
- Bring a large saucepan of water to a boil. Cook gnocchi according to package instructions until they float, 3 to 5 minutes. Drain.
- Meanwhile, melt butter in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Cook until the butter is beginning to brown, about 2 minutes. Add shallots and zucchini and cook, stirring often, until softened, 2 to 3 minutes. Add cherry tomatoes, salt, nutmeg and pepper and continue cooking, stirring often, until the tomatoes are just starting to break down, 1 to 2 minutes. Stir in Parmesan and parsley. Add gnocchi and toss to coat. Serve immediately.
One of the best vegetarian meals I've made! This is something very different...tasty, colorful and beautiful. This is so good, in fact, that two to three hungry people could eat the whole thing. This is a recipe that could turn zucchini haters into believers.