1/4 Photos of Golden Mushroom, Pea, and Asparagus Risotto (Vegan)
Recipe from The Vegan Chef and placed here for safe keeping. . .have some nutritional yeast to use up and this sounds great!! Serves 4 as a main dish or 6 as a side dish. NOTE: After making this, I have to say it was WAY better on day 2 and 3 once the flavors all came together. I also would make the saffron, dill and peas optional. I used regular button mushrooms with great results. And I have to say that I made 1/2 with parmesan cheese and 1/2 with the nutritional yeast. . .the yeast batch was MUCH better. . .who would have guessed?!?!?!?!?
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3 1/2-4 cups vegetable stock
- 1 lb asparagus, tough ends removed
- 1 cup onion, diced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 1/2 cups cremini mushrooms, destemmed, cut in half lengthwise, and sliced (may sub button mushrooms)
- 2 tablespoons garlic, minced
- 1 cup arborio rice
- 1/2 cup white wine (optional)
- 1/4 teaspoon saffron thread (optional)
- sea salt & freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1 cup frozen peas (optional)
- 1/3 cup nutritional yeast flakes
- 1/4 cup freshly chopped parsley
- 2 tablespoons freshly chopped dill (optional)
- 2 teaspoons finely grated lemon zest
- 1In a medium saucepan, place the vegetable stock and bring to a boil.
- 2Slice the asparagus spears diagonally into 1-inch pieces and place them in a fine mesh strainer. Place the strainer in the boiling vegetable stock and cook the asparagus in the stock for 2 minutes to blanch them.
- 3Remove the strainer from the stock and set the asparagus aside. Reduce the heat of the stock to low.
- 4In a large saucepan, saute the onion in the olive oil for 3 minutes to soften. Add the mushrooms and garlic and saute the mixture an additional 3 minutes.
- 5Add the Arborio rice, stir well to coat it with the sauteed vegetable mixture, and cook an additional 2 minutes while stirring constantly or until rice turns opaque.
- 6Add the white wine (or use some of the stock if omitting) and saffron threads, season to taste with salt and pepper, and stir well to combine. Reduce the heat to low and cook the mixture while stirring occasionally until all of the liquid has been absorbed.
- 7Add 1/2 cup of the simmering vegetable stock and continue to cook, while stirring occasionally, until all of the stock has been absorbed.
- 8Repeat the procedure of adding a 1/2 cup of simmering stock, stirring, and cooking until fully absorbed before adding additional stock, until all but a 1/2 cup of stock remains.
- 9Add the blanched asparagus, along with the remaining ingredients, and stir well to combine. Cook the mixture an additional 2-3 minutes while stirring constantly, adding the remaining stock, as needed, so that the rice is tender and the risotto has a creamy consistency.
- 10Taste and adjust the seasonings, as desired.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Golden Mushroom, Pea, and Asparagus Risotto (Vegan)
Serving Size: 1 (220 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 346.8
- Calories from Fat 77
- Total Fat 8.6 g
- Saturated Fat 1.2 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 31.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 57.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 9.1 g
- Sugars 3.8 g
- Protein 14.0 g
The following items or measurements are not included: