Prep 10 mins
Cook 10 mins
My panacotta recipe, with sour cream for an authentic Italian taste. Reduce balsamic vinegar to a syrup, and try with strawberries drizzlesd on the side.
- 1 3⁄4 teaspoons gelatin, granules
- 2 tablespoons cold water
- 3 cups whipping cream (heavy cream or half & half)
- 1⁄2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 cup sour cream (this is to your taste OR can be left out)
- Sprinkle gelatin over the cold water in a small saucepan.
- Let sit for a few minutes.
- Over low heat place saucepan with the gelatin and the heavy cream.
- Add in the sugar, vanilla, and salt.
- Stir until just warm, and no granules of sugar are felt between the fingertips.
- NOT COOKING THE MIXTURE-- JUST DISOLVING-- Let cool.
- Add 1/4 cup of dairy sour cream to the mixture, A LITTLE AT A TIME, This gives it a authentic tart taste as in Italy.
- Add as much as you like for your taste.
- Or it can be left out .
- Pour into custard dishes.
- Refrigerate until firm.
- Serve with strawberries or peaches, with reduced Balsamic vinegar to a thick syrup.
- Good this way.
- Good served Plain also.
This was delicious!! I've made it for my grand-daughter and she loves it. Just like I did when my Nonna made it for me when I was a little girl. I have also made it with about 1/2 t of almond extract as well. Thanks for submitting this recipe Andypandy!!