I saw this recipe on Everyday Italian with Giada De Laurentiis and enjoyed it. It is such a tasty way to use fresh garden tomatoes during the summer months and very easy to make.
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.
- Cut the tomatoes in half, horizontally. Seed by gently squeezing the tomato halves. Use a small spoon to gently hollow out the inside of the tomatoes, being careful not to puncture the outer shell. Reserve the pulp.
- Chop the reserved pulp and put in a medium bowl. Add the parsley, bread crumbs, cheese, optional garlic, and pepper and mix gently to combine.
- Place the tomato halves in a buttered casserole dish, and fill with the bread crumb mixture.
- Drizzle the top of the tomatoes with olive oil. Bake until the tops are browned, about 20 minutes.
These lovely tomatoes were as tasty as I had expected. DS left an open package of shredded "Italian Blend" cheese here a little while back and I used some of that. They were wonderful with some homemade bread sticks I had in the freezer and grilled chicken breast. :D
I made this for a light lunch. I made the recipe as written, and this was very lovely. This would make a great side dish for a nice grilled piece of meat. I will make these again!!