1/3 Photos of Herbed Italian Pot Roast
4 hrs 45 mins
Chef Kate's Note:
From Mary Ann Esposito, this hearty pot roast can be made in the oven or in a slow cooker. I've included the slow cooker directions though I myself have never used one. I can, however, vouch for the stovetop/oven method--really delicious! If you're using the slow cooker, add a couple of hours of cook time.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon coarse black pepper
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 2 1/2 lbs boneless chuck roast
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium onion, coarsely chopped
- 1 large carrot, coarsely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 cup dry red wine
- 28 ounces plum tomatoes (canned, crushed)
- 1 sprig fresh rosemary
- 2 sprigs fresh basil
- 2 sprigs fresh flat leaf parsley
- 1Mix the salt, pepper and oregano together and rub all over the roast. Set aside.
- 2Heat the oil in a large skillet and brown the roast well on all sides. This is a really important step because it adds a lot of flavor through carmelization.
- 3Transfer roast to the slow cooker or heavy duty oven roaster.
- 4In the same skillet used to brown the roast, cook the onion, carrot, and garlic until the mixture is soft, then add them to the slow cooker or oven roaster.
- 5Combine the wine and tomatoes in a bowl and add to the slow cooker or oven roaster.
- 6Tie the rosemary basil and parsley together with kitchen string and add to the slow cooker or roaster. Mix the ingredients well, Cover and cook in slow cooker for 4-5 hours on high or 6 to 8 hours on low. For the oven roaster, cover with heavy duty foil and cook 3 to 4 hours or until fork tender.
- 7When cooked, transfer the meat to a cutting board; cover and allow to stand for 20 minutes. Cut into slices and return the meat to the slow cooker or oven roaster just to reheat. Serve hot with some of the sauce.
- 8The sauce is also good over pasta or rice.
Browse Our Top Stew Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Herbed Italian Pot Roast
Serving Size: 1 (400 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 595.2
- Calories from Fat 376
- Total Fat 41.8 g
- Saturated Fat 15.6 g
- Cholesterol 130.4 mg
- Sodium 1098.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 10.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.4 g
- Sugars 5.1 g
- Protein 36.3 g
The following items or measurements are not included: