This is a hearty and flavorful soup. It can be made ahead and freezes well. Recipe is from Taste of Home.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 ounces pancetta or 2 ounces bacon, finely chopped
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 (49 1/2 ounce) can chicken broth
- 2 teaspoons italian seasoning
- 1 (9 ounce) package cheese tortellini
- 1 (28 ounce) can crushed tomatoes in puree
- 8 ounces fresh spinach, rinsed, stemmed and chopped
- salt, to taste
- pepper, to taste
- 1 cup freshly shredded parmesan cheese
- Heat the olive oil in a Dutch oven over medium heat.
- Add pancetta.
- Cook until crisp.
- Add onion; cook 3-4 minutes or until soft.
- Add garlic; cook 1 more minute.
- Add broth and Italian seasoning; bring to a boil and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, cook tortellini according to package directions; drain.
- Add cooked tortellini to soup mixture.
- Stir in tomatoes and simmer 5 minutes.
- Add spinach and cook just until wilted.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Garnish with cheese.