Prep 15 mins
Cook 35 mins
This is a hearty and flavorful soup. It can be made ahead and freezes well. Recipe is from Taste of Home.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 ounces pancetta or 2 ounces bacon, finely chopped
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 (49 1/2 ounce) can chicken broth
- 2 teaspoons italian seasoning
- 1 (9 ounce) package cheese tortellini
- 1 (28 ounce) can crushed tomatoes in puree
- 8 ounces fresh spinach, rinsed, stemmed and chopped
- salt, to taste
- pepper, to taste
- 1 cup freshly shredded parmesan cheese
- Heat the olive oil in a Dutch oven over medium heat.
- Add pancetta.
- Cook until crisp.
- Add onion; cook 3-4 minutes or until soft.
- Add garlic; cook 1 more minute.
- Add broth and Italian seasoning; bring to a boil and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, cook tortellini according to package directions; drain.
- Add cooked tortellini to soup mixture.
- Stir in tomatoes and simmer 5 minutes.
- Add spinach and cook just until wilted.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Garnish with cheese.
My husband and I love this soup. I add the tomatoes with the broth so they can simmer together. This soup gets tastier every night!
Good soup and very easy. We felt that it needs a little more seasoning but loved the basic flavor. Thanks Lainey for another keeper. Made for Photo Tag.
This is a very good soup. My entire family loved it. The fresh spinach was very mild and did not overpower the flavors even though there is an entire bag in the recipe. My picky 6 year old even asked for seconds (that's when I knew it was a keeper). It's pretty for the holidays with the green spinach & red tomatoes. This one will stay in my family cookbook to be used again & again!