4 hrs 20 mins
Chef #1163492's Note:
A tradition homemade red gravy should be made with meat, specifically pork and veal. I use pork and veal neck bones for added flavor. Instead of sugar and water, I use a little more tomato paste than usual plus Chianti and minced onion. Fresh herbs are vital to the outcome of the flavor, so throw away any of your dried herbs, they're crap. I also use grated cheese, it's a nice touch, especially if you're using the sauce for pasta. (Note: The amount of meatballs depends on how much meat you use and how big you make them. I use a little over a pound of meat and that usually translates to 8-16 meatballs.) VARIATION: Instead of frying neck bones, and if you have more time on your hands, you can braise a couple of good pork and veal shanks in red wine and let them soak in the sauce.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 12 uncooked meatballs, Italian Meatballs
- 5 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 medium vidalia onion, minced
- 1 pork neck bones
- 1 veal neck bones
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 (28 ounce) cans crushed tomatoes
- 1 (28 ounce) can tomato puree
- 1 (18 ounce) can tomato paste
- 1 cup chianti wine
- 1 cup vegetable broth
- 2 tablespoons fresh basil, chopped
- 1 teaspoon fresh parsley, chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh oregano, chopped
- 2 fresh bay leaves
- 2 teaspoons sea salt
- 2 teaspoons fresh ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup parmigiano-reggiano cheese, grated
- 1Cook meatballs in 2 tbsp olive oil, set them aside, keep leftover oil.
- 2Add remaining olive oil to left over oil from meatballs.
- 3Sautee onion for 5 minutes on medium heat.
- 4Add pork and veal neck bones, continue cooking for 3 minutes.
- 5Add garlic and continue cooking for 2 minutes.
- 6Stir in cans of tomatoes one at a time, wine, herbs, salt and pepper.
- 7Cook on medium-high until the sauce boils, then reduce heat to medium-low and simmer for 2 hours, stirring frequently.
- 8Add cheese and meatballs and continue simmering for another 2 hours, stirring frequently.
- 9Remove and discard neck bones and bay leaves.
- 10Adjust seasoning to taste.
Browse Our Top Sauces Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Sauces Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Homemade Italian Red Gravy
Serving Size: 1 (83 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 40
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 59.3
- Calories from Fat 19
- Total Fat 2.1 g
- Saturated Fat 0.4 g
- Cholesterol 0.7 mg
- Sodium 368.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 8.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.8 g
- Sugars 4.8 g
- Protein 1.7 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
pork neck bones
veal neck bones