1/1 Photo of In Search of the Ultimate Spaghetti/Pizza/Pasta Sauce
3 hrs 15 mins
Galley Wench's Note:
This may be hard to believe, but the best pasta sauce I ever had was in a small restaurant in San Carlos, Mexico. When we got back home I decided to start experimenting to see if I could duplicate and this is pretty darn close. If you prefer a smooth sauce, substitute tomato sauce for the diced tomatoes. Fresh mushrooms can also be added if desired. Fresh Italian sweet sausage can be used Italian Sausage or, I highly recommend Kittencal's Kittencal's Italian Melt-In-Your-Mouth Meatballs (I wasn't a meatball lover until I tried these.) Next time I make I'm going to try adding diced roasted red peppers. Based on comments of others, the plan is to continue refining this recipe. I look forward to hearing your comments and suggestions!. I serve on my Perfect Egg Pasta and save the leftover sauce to use on a pizza.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 (28 ounce) can crushed tomatoes
- 1 (28 ounce) can diced tomatoes (do not drain)
- 1 (28 ounce) can tomato puree
- 1 cup red wine (divided)
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt (to taste)
- 1 teaspoon McCormick's Montreal Brand steak seasoning
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1 teaspoon basil
- 2/3 cup grated parmesan cheese or 2/3 cup romano cheese
- 1 cup sweet onion, diced
- 3 garlic cloves, diced
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 1/2 lbs sweet Italian sausage (Italian Sausage)
- 1In large pot combine crushed tomatoes, tomato puree and diced tomatoes.
- 2Add 1/2 cup of red wine and 1/2 cup water.
- 3Bring to a boil and reduce heat to simmer.
- 4Stir in seasonings (salt, pepper, oregano, basil) and grated cheese.
- 5In frying pan heat olive oil and brown sausage or meat-balls.
- 6Remove the meat from the pan (saving the drippings) and add to the simmering sauce.
- 7In the same frying pan sauté the onions and garlic (adding more oil if necessary) until translucent.
- 8Add onions and garlic to simmer sauce.
- 9Deglaze the frying pan with 1/2 cup of red wine and add to the simmering sauce.
- 10Stirring occasionally, simmer for three hours or until of desired consistency.
- 11To thicken sauce crack the lid and allow to cook down.
- 12To thin add a little more red wine.
- 13Serve on spaghetti, ravioli or use on pizza.
Browse Our Top Spaghetti Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Spaghetti Recipes
Nutritional Facts for In Search of the Ultimate Spaghetti/Pizza/Pasta Sauce
Serving Size: 1 (372 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 350.6
- Calories from Fat 153
- Total Fat 17.0 g
- Saturated Fat 5.2 g
- Cholesterol 32.8 mg
- Sodium 1215.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 26.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 5.3 g
- Sugars 10.0 g
- Protein 21.3 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
McCormick's Montreal Brand steak seasoning