1/2 Photos of Irresistible & Healthy Vegetarian Lasagna W/ Cream Sauce!
1 hr 45 mins
I love lasagna with white sauce but all the cheese, cream and carbs don't make it a healthy choice. I set out to revamp this great classic to be health-conscious while still keeping that great sinful taste and I came up with this recipe. The prep takes awhile since the lasagna noodles need to be cooked before baking and there are lots of veggies to slice up but it's well worth the effort! The healthy end result balances protein and carbs, gets in a serving of healthy veggies AND is so low-cal you can even enjoy a glass of white wine with it. Bon Appetit!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 cups zucchini, julienned
- 2 cups yellow squash, julienned
- 2 (15 ounce) cans sliced mushrooms, drained
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic cloves
- 2 cups carrots, julienned
- 1 cup broccoli floret, cut into small pieces
- 1 teaspoon italian seasoning
- 4 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 cup onion, diced
- 4 tablespoons flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 3 cups skim milk
- 1/2 cup parmesan cheese, grated
- 3 tablespoons parmesan cheese, grated
- 9 whole wheat lasagna noodles (Such as Hodgson Mills)
- 3 cups part-skim mozzarella cheese, shredded
- 15 ounces fat-free ricotta cheese
- 1 (10 ounce) package frozen spinach, thawed and drained
- 2 teaspoons dried parsley or 2 tablespoons fresh parsley, chopped
- 2 teaspoons dried basil leaves or 2 tablespoons fresh basil, chopped
- 1·Spray a 13”x 9” pan with cooking spray and preheat oven to 350 degrees. Set pan aside.
- 2·Fill a large saucepan with water and bring to a boil over high heat; Add lasagna noodles and cook according to package directions; Remove from heat. Meanwhile, continue preparing lasagna filling.
- 3·Combine ricotta cheese and spinach in a small bowl and mix well; Set aside.
- 4·Spray large skillet or wok with olive oil cooking spray and heat pan over medium-high heat. Cook zucchini, yellow squash, mushrooms, carrots, broccoli and garlic until tender. Add Italian seasoning and set aside to cool.
- 5·Heat 4T olive oil in saucepan over medium heat. Add onions and sauté until tender, about 5 minutes. Add flour, salt and pepper and continue to saute, stirring constantly, about 5 minutes while gradually increasing heat to medium-high.
- 6·Stir in milk and cook until thickened; Remove from heat and stir in 1/2c parmesan cheese.
- 7·Spoon just enough white sauce into lasagna pan to barely cover the bottom.
- 8·Line with 3 noodles and spoon 1/3 of the ricotta mixture (it’ll be a thin layer) down the center of each noodle. Top with 1/3 of the vegetable mixture and sprinkle 1/3 of the mozzarella cheese (about 1c) over top before covering with 1/3 white sauce. Repeat 3 noodles; 1/3 each ricotta mixture, vegetable mixture and mozzarella cheese topped with 1/3 white sauce for second layer. Repeat layering for third layer but omit remaining mozzarella cheese and set aside. Cover with aluminum foil; Bake 30 minutes until hot and bubbly.
- 9·Remove aluminum foil and add remaining mozzarella cheese, 3T parmesan cheese, parsley and basil. Bake until top is browned, about 10 more minutes.
- 10·Remove from oven and let sit 10-15 minutes before cutting and serving.
Browse Our Top Pasta, Rice and Grains Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Pasta, Rice and Grains Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Irresistible & Healthy Vegetarian Lasagna W/ Cream Sauce!
Serving Size: 1 (311 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 12
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 289.6
- Calories from Fat 143
- Total Fat 15.9 g
- Saturated Fat 7.5 g
- Cholesterol 42.3 mg
- Sodium 708.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 15.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.9 g
- Sugars 4.8 g
- Protein 22.8 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
whole wheat lasagna noodles
fat-free ricotta cheese