Prep 10 mins
Cook 15 mins
I created this tasty and easy dish for my husband and kids using two things they love--sausage and peppers, but made it a bit more healthy using chicken sausage instead of pork.
- 1 lb Italian chicken sausage
- 1⁄2 green pepper, sliced into strips
- 1⁄2 red pepper, sliced into strips
- 1⁄2 yellow pepper, sliced into strips
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon italian seasoning
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) canrecipe ready tomatoes seasoned with basil garlic & oregano
- 3⁄4 cup white wine
- 1⁄2 lb mini penne pasta, cooked al dente
- salt, to taste
- pepper, to taste
- 1⁄2 cup grated parmesan cheese
- Heat large skillet and add olive oil. Add sausage and brown on all sides. Remove sausage to cutting board.
- Add onion to pan and cook about 3 minutes. Add garlic and cook another 2 minutes. Then add peppers, Italian seasoning and salt and pepper. Cook until crisp tender.
- While pepper mixture is cooking. Cut sausage into bite sized pieces. Then add back to skillet when peppers are just about done.
- Add tomatoes and wine and let come to boil. Turn down to simmer for 5 minutes, uncovered. Stir in cooked and drained pasta.
- Sprinkle with cheese and serve.
This is one of the most flavorful, yet simple recipes I've made in a long time and I had to write a review! I used rigatoni (didn't have penne), but made no other substitutions or evena single adjustment and it was delicious! My husband and toddler both loved it and ate it up. As fast as it is to make, it will re-heat easily the next day as well. It's simple, rustic and good enough to add to my "surprise weeknight dinner guest" recipe list.
Made this as directed adding tortellini instead of the mini penne. DELICIOUS!!!! Will use this recipe from now on. I added a photo as well. Happy Cooking!