Nana Lee's Note:
Talk about easy...this couldn't be easier, unles, of course, you bought them! And who doesn't like homemade doughnuts. Recipe courtesy Giada De Laurentiis, Episode#: SR0101. See this recipe on air Sunday Nov. 27, 2005 at 5:00 PM ET/PT.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Roll out the dough on a lightly floured surface to 1/2-inch thickness.
- 2If you have a donut cutter useit, at least 2 inch diameter.
- 3If no donut cutter,use a floured 2-inch cookie cutter, cut out doughnut rounds.
- 4Then use a floured 1-inch cookie cutter, cut out a hole in the center of each doughnut.
- 5Gather the dough scraps and reroll.
- 6Cut out more doughnuts.
- 7Whisk the sugar and cinnamon in a medium bowl to blend.
- 8Set the cinnamon-sugar aside.
- 9Pour equal parts of vegetable oil and olive oil into a large frying pan to reach a depth of 2 inches.
- 10Heat the oil over medium heat until a deep-fry thermometer registers 375ºF.
- 11Working in batches, fry the doughnuts until they puff but are still pale, about 45 seconds per side.
- 12Use a slotted spoon to transfer the doughnuts to paper towels to drain.
- 13Cool slightly.
- 14While the doughnuts are still warm, generously coat each 2 times with the cinnamon-sugar.
- 15Serve warm.
- 16Alternately, cool the fried doughnuts to room temperature.
- 17Stir 3 ounces of milk chocolate and 1/4 cup of whipping cream in a heavy small saucepan over medium-low heat until the chocolate melts.
- 18Set aside until the chocolate sauce comes to room temperature but does not set.
- 19Dip 1 side of each doughnut into the chocolate mixture.
- 20Sprinkle with finely chopped toasted almonds or crushed espresso beans and set aside until the chocolate is set.
Browse Our Top Breads Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Italian Doughnuts
Serving Size: 1 (12 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 9
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 65.4
- Calories from Fat 0
- Total Fat 0.0 g
- Saturated Fat 0.0 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 0.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 16.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.2 g
- Sugars 16.6 g
- Protein 0.0 g
The following items or measurements are not included: