Prep 20 mins
Cook 0 mins
A classic & delicious Italian dessert. It is very light, so it is good after a heavy meal. Serves 4
- 2 cups warm water
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
ONE of the following
- 1⁄2 cup lemon juice, &
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- 1⁄2 cup lime juice, &
- 1 teaspoon lime zest
- 1 cup pureed strawberry
- 1⁄2 cup semisweet chocolate, grated & melted
- maraschino cherries, with stems whole strawberries (to garnish) or chocolate shavings (to garnish)
- In a saucepan, dissolve sugar in water.
- Add fruit juice, strawberries, or chocolate.
- If adding fruit juice, let stand 5 minutes, then strain out rind.
- Pour mixture into freezing tray & freeze, stirring frequently until mixture is thick & mushy.
- Serve in chilled champagne glasses with appropriate garnish.
Love this recipe. If you add a package of Kool-Aid to the mixture you get popsicles. I let the mixture freeze first in a bowl and then gave it a quick blend in the blender or KitchenAid. Then poured it into popsicle molds and refroze it. Perfect Popsicles everytime.
My brother and I make this recipe all of the time using limes, and one key ingredient is using the peel of the citrus fruit for a burst of flavor with the lemon/lime Italian ice. It is a favorite with everyone and refreshing during the summer. Now I am going to try it with strawberries as you have presented. Thank you for sharing a tried and true classic.
Thank you for this recipe! Since moving to the west coast, we have missed the Italian Ice we had so often in Philadelphia - now we can have it all the time. This is so simple and so great. Thanks for sharing!