These are so handy to have on hand for those busy days or unexpected company, that is if you can hold on to them that long. I had to get them in bags before my husband made a full meal without the sauce. They can be used in sauces, wedding soup, as part of the entree with vegies, with dips, let your imagination go. I sometimes serve these with my Marinara sauce here at recipezaar. Talk about a quick meal! All I know is I didn't make enough...
- 4 lbs lean ground beef
- 1 lb ground pork loin
- 4 cups Italian seasoned breadcrumbs (I use Uncle Bill's recipe, except instead of dry parsley I like fresh)
- 8 eggs
- 2 cups milk
- 1 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese
- 1 -1 1⁄2 cup fresh parsley, chopped very fine
- 4 cloves garlic
- 1⁄2-1 teaspoon freshly ground nutmeg
- 1 cup pine nuts (optional)
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- Combine all your ingredients in a large steel bowl, preferably cold to begin.
- Mix all ingredients thoroughly.
- Let stand for 1/2 hour, to blend the ingredients-- I loosely put a wax paper over the top and put the meat back in the fridge.
- Shape into medium size meatballs about 2 1/2" or so.
- You can fry them at this point if you like-- but I like them beautifully round so I put them in the oven for 1/2 hour at 350* When using them in your own sauce for spaghetti, gentely cook them on meium-low for 1 hour so they absorb the flavors of the sauce or any other food you are cooking them with.
- If you are freezing them: After baking, let them cool.
- Place in Zip-loc bags and store in freezer until ready for use.
- You can quadruple this recipe and make as many as you wish.
- it is fast and easy.
- This recipe makes approx.
- 96 meatballs.