These biscotti's are the old Italian favorites, My Daughter-in-laws Mother always made these at Christmas for everyone to enjoy. Now this is my Favorite Biscotti recipe. I have been making them at christmas time & other times for years. My family always looks forward to my making them.They are great served with coffee or wine. These rusk-type cookies are studded with nuts and flavored with anise. You Twice bake them to a toasty crunchiness. They do take time,But,are well worth it. Prep time does not include Refrigerate time.
- In a large bowl, stir together sugar,butter,anise seeds,anisette, and whiskey;(I use mixer) Beat in eggs.
- In another bowl, stir together flour and baking powder.
- Gradually add to sugar mixture, blending thoroughly,Mix in almonds.
- Cover tightly with Plastic wrap and refrigerate for 2 to 3 hours.
- Directly on greased baking sheets,shape dough with hands to form flat loaves about 1/2 inch thick,2 inches wide, as long as baking sheets.
- Place loaves parallel and 4 inches apart,(this make 6 loaves).
- Bake in a 375 degrees oven for 20 minutes or until lightly browned.
- Remove loaves from oven and let cool on baking sheets until you can touch them.
- Cut diagonally into 1/2 to 3/4-inch-thick slices;Place slices close together (on same baking sheet, cut sides down} on baking sheets.
- Bake 375 degree oven for 15 more minutes or until lightly toasted.
- Transfer to racks to cool;Store air tight container.
WOW!! This was awesome. I didn't have anisette or anise liqueur, but I used a few drops of Anise oil and substituted vanilla for the liquid portion. YES, I used the wiskey. These were unbelievably easy to make even though I only had 3 loaves instead of 6. Someone actually told me they were the best biscotti they ever had. I will make them again - without a doubt!!
These are perfect. An easy recipe to follow that produces the old Italian taste. A must with a strong cup of black coffee.
I made these for two friends of mine. They were very simple to make and the kitchen smelled wonderful! I'm pretty strong-willed but that smell was almost enough to knock even me off of my diet. I have heard back from the first friend and he said that they tasted wonderful! So - clear directions, easy to make, tastes great - sounds like 5 stars to me. Thanks Barbara for not only sharing the recipe but for making me look so great with the men. ;)