These biscotti's are the old Italian favorites, My Daughter-in-laws Mother always made these at Christmas for everyone to enjoy. Now this is my Favorite Biscotti recipe. I have been making them at christmas time & other times for years. My family always looks forward to my making them.They are great served with coffee or wine. These rusk-type cookies are studded with nuts and flavored with anise. You Twice bake them to a toasty crunchiness. They do take time,But,are well worth it. Prep time does not include Refrigerate time.
- In a large bowl, stir together sugar,butter,anise seeds,anisette, and whiskey;(I use mixer) Beat in eggs.
- In another bowl, stir together flour and baking powder.
- Gradually add to sugar mixture, blending thoroughly,Mix in almonds.
- Cover tightly with Plastic wrap and refrigerate for 2 to 3 hours.
- Directly on greased baking sheets,shape dough with hands to form flat loaves about 1/2 inch thick,2 inches wide, as long as baking sheets.
- Place loaves parallel and 4 inches apart,(this make 6 loaves).
- Bake in a 375 degrees oven for 20 minutes or until lightly browned.
- Remove loaves from oven and let cool on baking sheets until you can touch them.
- Cut diagonally into 1/2 to 3/4-inch-thick slices;Place slices close together (on same baking sheet, cut sides down} on baking sheets.
- Bake 375 degree oven for 15 more minutes or until lightly toasted.
- Transfer to racks to cool;Store air tight container.