1/3 Photos of Italian Onion Soup
1 hr 10 mins
bluemoon downunder's Note:
Adapted from Huey's recipe of the same name for the 2005 Zaar World Tour. Huey (Iain Hewitson) is a well-known Australian chef who has written several books, runs a popular Melbourne restaurant, and appears twice daily in his TV cooking show. This recipe is from his website.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 6 garlic cloves, crushed plus
- 6 additional garlic cloves, to be used later
- 2 leeks, thoroughly washed and sliced
- 1 kg yellow onions (Americans) or 1 kg brown onion (Australians)
- 2 (400 ml) cans tomatoes, drained and diced
- 6 cups chicken stock (or vegetable)
- 3 tablespoons chopped Italian parsley (flat leaf)
- fresh ground black pepper, to taste
- 2 -3 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- butter (optional)
- 3 slices day-old sourdough bread, cubed, to form croutons
- pecorino cheese, grated
- 1Heat the oil in a non-stick pot and sauté the garlic, leek and onions for about 30 minutes until golden brown, regularly stirring and scraping the bottom of the pot, turning down the heat after about 10 minutes. (You may need more oil if you are not using a non-stick pot).
- 2Add the tomatoes, stock, parsley, seasonings and balsamic vinegar. Mix well and bring to the boil. Then simmer for about 20 minutes.
- 3Preheat the oven to 180°C.
- 4While the soup is cooking, heat a little oil, butter and the remaining 6 cloves of garlic in a heavy-bottomed pan (that can go into the oven).
- 5Add a couple of handfuls of the day-old bread, cubed and toss until well coated. Then cook in the oven until golden.
- 6Transfer the croutons to a bowl and toss with a good handful of pecorino whilst still hot.
- 7To serve, ladle the soup into individual bowls and top with the croutons and an extra sprinkling of cheese.
Browse Our Top Onions Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Italian Onion Soup
Serving Size: 1 (875 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 464.5
- Calories from Fat 88
- Total Fat 9.8 g
- Saturated Fat 2.0 g
- Cholesterol 10.8 mg
- Sodium 834.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 78.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 7.8 g
- Sugars 22.3 g
- Protein 18.2 g