1/1 Photo of Italian Onion Soup
This recipe is from Chef Michael Chiarello.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon garlic, finely chopped
- 8 cups sweet onions, thinly sliced
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt or 1/4 teaspoon gray salt
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh sage leaf (or 1 t dried sage leaves)
- 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
- 32 ounces beef broth
- 4 slices italian country bread, 3/4 inch thick slices
- 1 cup mozzarella cheese, shredded
- 1In 12-14-inch skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat.
- 2Add garlic; cook and stir until garlic begins to brown but not burn.
- 3Stir in onions and salt.
- 4Cook about 7 minutes.
- 5Reduce heat to medium.
- 6Cook about 10 minutes longer, stirring occasionally, until onions are golden brown.
- 7Stir in sage and vinegar.
- 8Cook 2-4 minutes, stirring occasionally, until liquid has evaporated.
- 9Stir in broth.
- 10Simmer over medium heat 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- 11Meanwhile, set oven control to broil.
- 12Sprinkle bread with cheese; place on cookie sheet.
- 13Broil with tops 4-6 inches from heat until cheese is melted (watch carefully).
- 14Place 1 slice of bread on each serving of soup.
Browse Our Top Stocks Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Italian Onion Soup
Serving Size: 1 (664 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 489.6
- Calories from Fat 135
- Total Fat 15.0 g
- Saturated Fat 5.3 g
- Cholesterol 22.1 mg
- Sodium 1509.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 70.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 7.0 g
- Sugars 17.9 g
- Protein 20.0 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
fresh sage leaves