This recipe is from Chef Michael Chiarello.
Make and share this Italian Onion Soup recipe from Food.com.
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon garlic, finely chopped
- 8 cups sweet onions, thinly sliced
- 1⁄4 teaspoon sea salt or 1⁄4 teaspoon gray salt
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh sage leaf (or 1 t dried sage leaves)
- 1⁄4 cup balsamic vinegar
- 32 ounces beef broth
- 4 slices italian country bread, 3/4 inch thick slices
- 1 cup mozzarella cheese, shredded
- In 12-14-inch skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat.
- Add garlic; cook and stir until garlic begins to brown but not burn.
- Stir in onions and salt.
- Cook about 7 minutes.
- Reduce heat to medium.
- Cook about 10 minutes longer, stirring occasionally, until onions are golden brown.
- Stir in sage and vinegar.
- Cook 2-4 minutes, stirring occasionally, until liquid has evaporated.
- Stir in broth.
- Simmer over medium heat 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Meanwhile, set oven control to broil.
- Sprinkle bread with cheese; place on cookie sheet.
- Broil with tops 4-6 inches from heat until cheese is melted (watch carefully).
- Place 1 slice of bread on each serving of soup.
I love Michael Chiarello's recipes. This soup is so rich and full of flavor. I always serve this on wintery cold nights alongside a good steak. Thanks for sharing!
A rich delicious soup, surprisingly quick and easy to prepare, apart from slicing the onions! (And when DH does that, it's even easier to prepare! :lol:) My older DD does not like onions, but enjoyed some of the broth, DH and I very much enjoyed this light supper. I was a little short on bread, so took some hotdog rolls out of the freezer and prepared them as directed. Lovely recipe, thanks you, lainey!