Prep 15 mins
Cook 2 hrs 15 mins
Big cubes of bread in this traditional Italian salad soak up the zesty dressing; white beans and provolone pump up the protein for a well-balanced vegetarian meal. From MarthaStewart.com
- 1⁄4 cup red wine vinegar
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil
- 2 (15 1/2 ounce) cans cannellini beans, rinsed and drained
- 3 cups country bread, large cubes (5 to 6 ounces)
- 1 lb plum tomato, cut into small pieces
- 1 English cucumber, thinly sliced crosswise
- 1⁄4 medium red onion, very thinly sliced
- 4 ounces provolone cheese, in one piece, diced
- 1⁄4 cup fresh basil leaf, torn
- In a large bowl, whisk together vinegar and oil; season with salt and pepper.
- Add beans, bread, tomatoes, cucumber, onion, and cheese. Toss to combine. Cover and refrigerate at least 2 hours, and up to 8 hours. Just before serving, stir in basil.
I thought this was o.k.. The toasted ciabatta bread I used was really good, but I thought the red wine vinegar overpowered the dish. It needs more flavor. I think I'll make this again and try to add more spices next time. I might try it with some balsamic vinegar.
Prefect for a hot summer day!! Very easy and and so very easy to eat. Thanks for posting