Prep 5 mins
Cook 0 mins
There is no need to buy salad dressing when it is so easy to make your own. This is my all-purpose Italian dressing. Because it doesn't need to be refrigerated, there is always a bottle on our dining room table. It keeps for ages.
- 1 cup vegetable oil (most other oils also work)
- 1⁄2 cup white vinegar (or slightly less if you don't like sour)
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon celery salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dry English-style mustard (hot)
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 6 dashes Tabasco sauce, be generous. You can use cayenne instead of Tabasco (see below)
- 1⁄8 teaspoon cayenne (optional)
- Combine all ingredients in a salad dressing bottle that will hold at least 1 1/2 cups.
- Shake well and enjoy.
This is a great recipe to keep for those emergency "I need Italian salad dressing for a recipe" moments. I know because I had one yesterday! :) It's very basic, tasty, has enough zing to say Italian without a bunch of competing flavor to mess up your recipe. AND it doesn't have a bunch of weird chemicals like the bottled kind. Thank you so much for posting, this is definitely a keeper. Made for ZWT4.
We loved this dressing! I made half the batch, but know I will be making it as soon as my supply runs out. This will be a great go-to dressing to have on hand. I loved the flavor and consistency. Thank you so much!
Nice! I don't use a lot of salad dressings so it's always good to find nice recipes that scale down well using things I normally have around. Only change I made was I'd run out of Tabasco so used a Bhut Jolokia based hot sauce instead which gave it a nice tang :).