This can be served for breakfast, brunch, lunch or dinner. It's a fairly simple recipe with ingredients that are easily found in the grocery store! I personally use the Spicy Turkey Italian Sausages when making this recipe although it calls for mild.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Brown sausage in sauce pan and drain.
- Spread evenly over bottom of 9 x 13 baking dish.
- Sauté mushrooms and garlic in butter until almost all liquid is absorbed (you can add a few dashes of white wine at this stage if you prefer.
- Spread mushrooms over sausage.
- Layer swiss chard and cheese over mushrooms.
- In bowl beat the eggs, milk and Dijon mustard and pour evenly over all.
- Place in oven on middle rack, bake uncovered for 1 hour, (or until middle is firm to touch).
- Remove from the oven, cover loosely with foil, and let stand 15-18 minutes. Divide and cut into serving sizes.
- Top with green onions or sour cream (or both) if you desire.
My MIL gave me some chard so I decided to use some in this recipe. I scaled it down for just me and my husband and did a version of this as scrambled eggs. He loved it and I am still not sure how I feel about chard. Anyway, there are a lot of great flavors going on here. I think we will be making this again. Good healthy stuff! Made for my Babes for ZWT4.
I cut the ingredients in half for a breakfast for 2 & used most of the mushrooms on just half of the frittata! Also used the mild sausage, although another time I might just go for the sweeter ones! VERY TASTY & MOST ENJOYABLE! Thanks for sharing! [Made & reviewed during the Zingo part of the Zaar World Tour 4]
I made this for an Italian themed lunch at work - was looking for something other than pasta. This was easy and a great hit! Everyone wanted the recipe. It was great to be able to pop it in the oven!