Another recipe of mine that I have tweaked over the years, that will probably change again!
Make and share this Italian Sausage Lasagna recipe from Food.com.
- 1 (9 ounce) package no-boil lasagna noodles
- 1 lb mild Italian sausage
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 28 ounces whole canned tomatoes (undrained)
- 12 ounces tomato paste
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1⁄4 cup fresh basil, torn into small pieces
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper, freshly ground
- 15 ounces ricotta cheese
- 1 egg, beaten
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley, chopped
- 1⁄2 teaspoon sea salt
- 3⁄4 cup parmigiano-reggiano cheese, grated
- 4 cups mozzarella cheese, grated
- Crumble Italian sausage into a large skillet. Brown sausage until no longer pink and drain onto paper towels. Wipe out skillet with paper towels. Add 1 tablespoon olive oil to pan and heat until shimmering. Add onion and saute until translucent.
- Stir in the cooked Italian sausage, tomatoes (undrained), tomato paste, sugar, half of the basil and the pepper. Bring to boil then reduce heat and simmer uncovered for 20-30 minutes, stirring occasionally and breaking up the tomatoes with the back of a spoon.
- In a small bowl blend ricotta, egg, parsley, Parmaigano-Reggiano and 1/2 teaspoon salt.
- Put a layer of noodles in a 9 X 13 pan, a layer of meat sauce, layer of ricotta mixture and a layer of the cheese then repeat all the layers twice more. Cover with foil.
- Bake at 375 degrees for 30 minutes. Uncover and bake 20 minutes more. Let stand 10 minutes before cutting and serving.
This is a very delicious lasagna! I'm so happy I made it. It will be something we enjoy for years to come!
Wonderful lasagna! I added garlic to the sauce mixture, but otherwise stuck to the recipe. My husband always prefers ground sausage over ground beef so I knew he'd be pleased. Thanx for a tasty lasagna!