Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
- 2 lbs Italian sausage
- 1 cup dried parsley
- 1 tablespoon garlic, finely chopped
- 1⁄2 cup olive oil
- 1 teaspoon red cayenne pepper
- 1 cup plain flour
- 3 tablespoons Lea & Perrins Worcestershire Sauce
- 2 cups onions, finely chopped
- 1 cup celery, finely chopped
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dried mint
- 1⁄2 cup bell pepper, finely chopped
- 3 cups tomato sauce
- 2 cups water
- 2 cups dry white wine
- Cut Italian sausage into 2-inch lengths.
- Brown sausage off in olive oil (about half cook it), remove from pan and put aside, Add flour to oil that was used and make roux.
- Add onions, celery, and bell pepper.
- Stir and cook until tender or clear.
- Add water and stir until smooth.
- Add wine (you may wish to experiment with the amount of wine used, 2 cups is too much for some tastes), parsley, and garlic.
- Pour in red pepper, Lea & Perrins Worcestershire sauce, dried mint, and tomato sauce.
- Stir real well.
- Bring to a bubbly boil and add salt, to taste.
- Add sausage.
- Bring back to a boil.
- Turn heat down to simmer.
- Cook for about 3 or 4 hours.
- Serve over spaghetti topped with cheese.