Prep 0 mins
Cook 0 mins
- 2 lbs Italian sausage
- 1 cup dried parsley
- 1 tablespoon garlic, finely chopped
- 1⁄2 cup olive oil
- 1 teaspoon red cayenne pepper
- 1 cup plain flour
- 3 tablespoons Lea & Perrins Worcestershire Sauce
- 2 cups onions, finely chopped
- 1 cup celery, finely chopped
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dried mint
- 1⁄2 cup bell pepper, finely chopped
- 3 cups tomato sauce
- 2 cups water
- 2 cups dry white wine
- Cut Italian sausage into 2-inch lengths.
- Brown sausage off in olive oil (about half cook it), remove from pan and put aside, Add flour to oil that was used and make roux.
- Add onions, celery, and bell pepper.
- Stir and cook until tender or clear.
- Add water and stir until smooth.
- Add wine (you may wish to experiment with the amount of wine used, 2 cups is too much for some tastes), parsley, and garlic.
- Pour in red pepper, Lea & Perrins Worcestershire sauce, dried mint, and tomato sauce.
- Stir real well.
- Bring to a bubbly boil and add salt, to taste.
- Add sausage.
- Bring back to a boil.
- Turn heat down to simmer.
- Cook for about 3 or 4 hours.
- Serve over spaghetti topped with cheese.
I almost didn't make this because of a review, but after looking at the ingredients and directions am glad i did! This was superb! I will admit to leaving the cayenne pepper out (i'm a wimp, i'll admit it!) but it was so good and tasty! Thank you so much for a delicious recipe. Oh, i also used Red table wine instead of white, my grandma would knock me silly if i used white wine in the gravy!..LOL..delicious! Thank you so much for a tasty recipe!
I'm sorry but I followed this by the letter and it just didn't come out the way I had hoped. I tried to fix it up and ended out throwing it all away. Maybe red wine instead of white. I used all fresh ingredients and even fresh tomatoes. Sorry.