Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 15 mins
Cook 15 mins
I *love* mushrooms and I am always looking for an excuse to try out a new mushroom recipe. I was looking for a stuffed mushroom recipe for my New Year's party but I didn't want one that involved cream cheese because I was already using it in a few recipes for the night. I found this one on All Recipes and it didn't look to be here. So, I added it so I can have it stored in my menus. I think I will play with it to make it fit smaller mushrooms but that shouldn't be very difficult.
- Remove mushroom stems; set caps aside. Chop stems; set aside.
- In a skillet, cook sausage over medium heat until no longer pink; remove with a slotted spoon.
- In the drippings, saute onions and mushroom stems.
- Stir in spaghetti sauce and sausage.
- Stuff into mushroom caps.
- Sprinkle with cheese.
- Place in a greased 15-in. x 10-in. x 1-in. baking pan. Bake at 350 degrees F for 12-15 minutes or until cheese is melted.
I love mushrooms, too, and I love this recipe! Although this is an appetizer recipe, it sounded so good that I made it as a main course, with crusty bread and a fruit salad for dessert. The mushrooms cooked perfectly, not too mushy, and they didn't taste undercooked, as some stuffed mushrooms can. I scooped out the brown gills of the mushrooms so there would be more room for the yummy filling! I also made it about an hour before dinner, and covered it and put it in the fridge, so I just had to pop it into the oven when it was time for dinner. Thanks for this great recipe, Sarah Jayne. I'm going to triple this recipe and have it for one of my SuperBowl "snacks". I hope I can get a few before everyone eats them all up!