Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Cook1 hr 40 mins
Squid is often served fried in Italy, but this recipe casseroles it with a combination of tomatoes and bell peppers to create a deliciously rich sauce. From the book: "The Complete Book of Italian Cooking".
- 2 lbs whole squid, cleaned or 1 1⁄2 lbs squid rings
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large onion, thinly sliced in rings
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 red bell pepper, cored, deseeded and sliced
- 1 -2 fresh rosemary sprig
- 1 1⁄2 cups fish stock (or water)
- 1 (14 ounce) can chopped tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- salt and pepper
- rosemary (to garnish) or parsley (to garnish)
- Cut the squid pouch into 1/2" slices, cut the tentacles into lengths of approx 2". If using frozen squid rings, defrost and drain fully before using.
- Heat the oil in a flameproof casserole; fry the onion and garlic gently until soft. Add the squid, increase the heat and continue to cook for about 10 minutes until sealed and beginning to colour lightly.
- Add the bell peppers, rosemary and stock; bring to the boil. Cover and simmer gently for 45 minutes.
- Discard the sprigs of rosemary but leave any leaves that have come of them.
- Add the tomatoes, tomato paste, seasonings and paprika. Continue to simmer gently for around 45-55 minutes - or cover the casserole tightly and cook in a moderate oven (180°C/350°F) for 45-55 minutes, until tender.
- Give the sauce a good stir, adjust the seasoning, garnish with fresh herbs and serve with crusty bread.
Easy and nice with pasta on the side. You would need to like squid to like this. I used baby squids.