Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Cook1 hr 40 mins
Squid is often served fried in Italy, but this recipe casseroles it with a combination of tomatoes and bell peppers to create a deliciously rich sauce. From the book: "The Complete Book of Italian Cooking".
- 2 lbs whole squid, cleaned or 1 1⁄2 lbs squid rings
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large onion, thinly sliced in rings
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 red bell pepper, cored, deseeded and sliced
- 1 -2 fresh rosemary sprig
- 1 1⁄2 cups fish stock (or water)
- 1 (14 ounce) can chopped tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- salt and pepper
- rosemary (to garnish) or parsley (to garnish)
- Cut the squid pouch into 1/2" slices, cut the tentacles into lengths of approx 2". If using frozen squid rings, defrost and drain fully before using.
- Heat the oil in a flameproof casserole; fry the onion and garlic gently until soft. Add the squid, increase the heat and continue to cook for about 10 minutes until sealed and beginning to colour lightly.
- Add the bell peppers, rosemary and stock; bring to the boil. Cover and simmer gently for 45 minutes.
- Discard the sprigs of rosemary but leave any leaves that have come of them.
- Add the tomatoes, tomato paste, seasonings and paprika. Continue to simmer gently for around 45-55 minutes - or cover the casserole tightly and cook in a moderate oven (180°C/350°F) for 45-55 minutes, until tender.
- Give the sauce a good stir, adjust the seasoning, garnish with fresh herbs and serve with crusty bread.