Prep 1 hr
Cook 1 hr
It took several generations to get this just so. To eliminate much of the work use a food processor, finely processing the cheese and vegetables 'separately' in this order, scraping bowl after each: cheese, garlic, parsley, green onions, celery, then bell pepper. The completed artichoke can be tightly wrapped and frozen uncooked. MY PHOTO IS UNCOOKED.
- 6 artichokes, small to medium size
- 2 lbs parmesan cheese, freshly grated (can substitute asaigo or romano)
- 8 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 cups green onions, tops and bottoms sliced thin
- 1 (24 ounce) container Italian seasoned breadcrumbs, plus 1 cup
- 3⁄4 cup minced parsley (loosley packed)
- 1 cup minced celery
- 1 medium green bell pepper, chopped fine
- 1 tablespoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon salt (optional)
- olive oil
- Wash the artichokes and allow to dry upside down to drain.
- Once dry, cut the stems so the artichoke will stand upright.
- Remove the tough outer leaves at the base and cut about 1" straight off the top.
- With kitchen shears, snip off the point of each outer leaf.
- Slightly open the center and outer leaves, preparing for stuffing.
- In a large bowl, thoroughly combine cheese and breadcrumbs, then add the remaining ingredients except the olive oil. Thoroughly combine mixture.
- Holding the artichoke over the bowl of stuffing, stuff artichoke from bottom to top, spreading and stuffing the leaves along the way, patting stuffing firmly into leaves.
- Mound the stuffing over the flattened top and pushing down slightly with palm to adhere mixture to the artichoke. Repeat process, stuffing remaining artichokes.
- Place artichoke in large pot or Dutch oven with tight fitting lid using rack if have one.
- Carefully add enough water to cover the bottom of the pot about 1/2", not letting the water touch the bottom leaves.
- Cover and steam on low fire monitoring water level and refilling, without touching leaves, as needed.
- After 20 minutes, open lid and liberally drizzle olive oil over top of artichoke.
- Replace lid and continue steaming, frequently checking water level, about 50 - 60 minutes or until the leaves pull out easily.
- Carefully remove artichoke from pot.
- Let cool slightly.