1/1 Photo of Italian Stuffed Artichokes
It took several generations to get this just so. To eliminate much of the work use a food processor, finely processing the cheese and vegetables 'separately' in this order, scraping bowl after each: cheese, garlic, parsley, green onions, celery, then bell pepper. The completed artichoke can be tightly wrapped and frozen uncooked. MY PHOTO IS UNCOOKED.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 6 artichokes, small to medium size
- 2 lbs parmesan cheese, freshly grated (can substitute asaigo or romano)
- 8 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 cups green onions, tops and bottoms sliced thin
- 1 (24 ounce) container Italian seasoned breadcrumbs, plus 1 cup
- 3/4 cup minced parsley (loosley packed)
- 1 cup minced celery
- 1 medium green bell pepper, chopped fine
- 1 tablespoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon salt (optional)
- olive oil
- 1Wash the artichokes and allow to dry upside down to drain.
- 2Once dry, cut the stems so the artichoke will stand upright.
- 3Remove the tough outer leaves at the base and cut about 1" straight off the top.
- 4With kitchen shears, snip off the point of each outer leaf.
- 5Slightly open the center and outer leaves, preparing for stuffing.
- 6In a large bowl, thoroughly combine cheese and breadcrumbs, then add the remaining ingredients except the olive oil. Thoroughly combine mixture.
- 7Holding the artichoke over the bowl of stuffing, stuff artichoke from bottom to top, spreading and stuffing the leaves along the way, patting stuffing firmly into leaves.
- 8Mound the stuffing over the flattened top and pushing down slightly with palm to adhere mixture to the artichoke. Repeat process, stuffing remaining artichokes.
- 9Place artichoke in large pot or Dutch oven with tight fitting lid using rack if have one.
- 10Carefully add enough water to cover the bottom of the pot about 1/2", not letting the water touch the bottom leaves.
- 11Cover and steam on low fire monitoring water level and refilling, without touching leaves, as needed.
- 12After 20 minutes, open lid and liberally drizzle olive oil over top of artichoke.
- 13Replace lid and continue steaming, frequently checking water level, about 50 - 60 minutes or until the leaves pull out easily.
- 14Carefully remove artichoke from pot.
- 15Let cool slightly.
Browse Our Top Onions Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Italian Stuffed Artichokes
Serving Size: 1 (476 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1177.9
- Calories from Fat 449
- Total Fat 49.9 g
- Saturated Fat 27.8 g
- Cholesterol 134.2 mg
- Sodium 4467.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 104.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 14.6 g
- Sugars 9.5 g
- Protein 79.9 g