Another frequently-made recipe from my days of cooking for a caterer. A really elegant dish that can be easily doubled for a dinner party. Savory chicken breasts stuffed with spinach-ricotta-pesto-prosciutto, and topped with a light mushroom sauce.
- 6 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 3 slices prosciutto, 1/8-inch thick, halved
- 1⁄4 cup pine nuts
- 1 lb spinach, trimmed
- 3 shallots, minced
- 1⁄2 cup ricotta cheese
- 1⁄4 cup pesto sauce
- 1 egg yolk
- 1⁄8 teaspoon pepper
For basting chicken
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1⁄2 lb mushroom, sliced
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 3⁄4 cup white wine
- 1⁄2 cup whipping cream
- 2 tablespoons fresh basil, chopped
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Toast pine nuts 5 minutes, until lightly browned. Reserve.
- Put washed spinach in skillet, cover. Steam about 2 minutes. Place in strainer, rinse with cold water and squeeze as much liquid out as possible. Chop medium fine.
- Heat butter in skillet, saute shallots until soft.
- Increase oven to 375 degrees.
- Butter a shallow baking dish.
- Mix pine nuts, spinach, shallots, ricotta cheese, egg yolk and pepper.
- Pound chicken breasts slightly.
- Place 1/.2 slice prosciutto on each breast, followed by 1/6 of filling. Fold in half. Place in buttered baking dish.
- Mix melted butter and lemon juice. Spoon over chicken breasts. Bake, basting occassionally, for 30 minutes (or until tender). Remove to platter and keep warm.
- Make sauce: Melt butter in skillet, saute mushrooms 3 minutes. Remove mushrooms.
- Add stock to skillet, boil until rediced to 1/4 cup. Add wine, boil until reduced to 1/2 cup. Add cream, boil until reduced to 3/4 cup.
- Return mushrooms to sauce.
- Add whatever juices have accumulated in chicken dish to sauce. Bring to boil, stirring. Add basil.
- Serve chicken breasts on platter. Pass sauce separately.
WOW!!! This isn't difficult to put together and it tastes so phenomenal that even if it was a pain to prepare - it would be worth it!! I will be making this again and again!! Thank you davianng for a wonderful dining experience! My PAC 2009 baby can really cook!!!