Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 20 mins
Cook 45 mins
Easy and tasty stuffed zucchini with Italian sausage and cheese.
Make and share this Italian Stuffed Zucchini recipe from Food.com.
- 2 large zucchini (about 1 1/2 lb)
- 1 1⁄2 lbs bulk Italian sausage
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cup dry small shell macaroni
- 2 large tomatoes, peeled and chopped
- 1 cup grated cheddar cheese
- 2 tablespoons minced parsley
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Cut zucchini in half lengthwise and hollow out, leaving shell 1/8 thick.
- Chop pulp and measure 2 cups.
- Cook sausage, crumbling meat as it cooks.
- Add zucchini pulp, onion, and garlic to the sausage, and continue to cook until sausage has lost all pink color.
- Meanwhile, cook macaroni according to package directions and drain in colander.
- Drain fat from sausage and combine with macaroni, tomato, cheddar cheese, parsley, oregano and salt, mixing well.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Brush inside of zucchini halves with olive oil and salt lightly.
- Mound the filling in the halves and place in a shallow baking dish.
- Add about 1/2 cup or more of water, cover with foil and bake for about 40-45 minutes.
- Remove from oven and sprinkle with Parmesan cheese.
Oh YUM. I made this the other day and substituted the macaroni with orzo and used 4 medium sized zucchini. It was absolutely perfect!
Guess it is great - printed out again unknowingly that I had tried it already and again it got lots of star ratings from family. Used 1 pound each hamburger and chorizo sausage and 1 cdn diced/drained tomatoes instead of fresh. Doubled recipe and no leftovers