1/2 Photos of Italian Tartufo
5 hrs 30 mins
"Tartufo" is Italian for truffle. The original "truffles" were created just after the French revolution by French chefs and were chocolate confections made to resemble like their prized fungi cousin in the Perigord region of France. These sweet confections were given at Christmas time as gifts. Sometime around the Victorian era is when the frozen truffle came about when the idea of molding ice creams into various shape like flowers, fruit, and other foods became popular. It has been only during recent times that ice cream "truffles" or "tartufos" have made a renaissance, of sorts. Typically, in Italy, a tartufo is a vanilla ice cream ball that has a cherry and some nuts in the center. The ball is then dipped in chocolate and can be covered with nuts or chocolate shavings. (Cook time is Chilling time)
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Soak cherries in rum.
- 2Sift sugar; cocoa, and instant coffee together and place in a heavy sauce pan.
- 3Add the water and mix well.
- 4Bring to a boil and cook until everything is well mixed.
- 5While syrup is cooking, whip the egg yolks until light and fluffy.
- 6Reduce the speed of the beaters to the lowest level and add the hot syrup in a continuous fine stream.
- 7Continue beating until the mixture is thick and forms a ribbon pattern when the beater is pulled away.
- 8Chill well. (about an hour).
- 9Whip the cream with the 2 tablespoons of rum until stiff.
- 10Fold into the chocolate mixture.
- 11Fold in the chopped chocolate.
- 12Arrange foil lined paper cups in a muffin pan.
- 13Fill each cup 1/3 of the way full.
- 14Place a cherry in each cup then fill the rest of the way.
- 15Freeze at least 4 hours (preferably overnight).
- 16Before serving pipe whipping cream on top if desired.
- 17It will keep in the freezer for about a month wrapped tightly in aluminum foil.
Browse Our Top Frozen Desserts Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Italian Tartufo
Serving Size: 1 (79 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 10
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 259.7
- Calories from Fat 140
- Total Fat 15.5 g
- Saturated Fat 8.9 g
- Cholesterol 99.0 mg
- Sodium 14.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 28.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.6 g
- Sugars 22.0 g
- Protein 3.7 g