This is by far my favorite soup. It is by far the closest recipe I have found to my Grandmother's. I have tweaked it a little, and adjusted the measurements to make it a bit more diet friendly, but it still holds the authentic flavor of the roman original. Adding tiny noodles like acini de peppe works fine. Day old/stale bread really works best for this, NOT fresh. Toast the bread a bit first if you are using a fresh loaf. Flavors marry beautifully after sitting over night for wonderful leftovers.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup onion, diced
- 2 teaspoons garlic, minced
- 2 cups whole canned tomatoes (canned fine)
- 2 cups tomatoes, diced (canned fine)
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1 1/2 cups spinach, rinsed, stems trimmed, leaves chopped
- 1/2 cup dry red wine
- 2 tablespoons fresh basil, chopped
- 3 teaspoons fresh oregano, chopped
- 4 ounces prosciutto, diced or 4 ounces country ham
- 1 -2 cup romano cheese, grated
- Italian bread
- 1Heat the oil in a heavy saucepan.
- 2Add the onion and garlic and cook until soft, stirring occasionally to avoid sticking.
- 3Add the whole tomatoes(crushing them by hand as you add them to the pot), diced tomatoes, broth, spinach, wine and herbs. Bring to a boil.
- 4Reduce the heat and simmer 35 minutes.
- 5Add the prosciutto and simmer 10 minutes longer.
- 6Meanwhile, cut the bread into 3/4 inch slices and place them at the bottom of the serving bowls. (For an added flavor, toast the bread slightly and rub with a slice of garlic.) Sprinkle the top of each slice with cheese.
- 7Carefully spoon the soup over the bread, completely covering the slice by at least an inch, and garnish with more of the Romano cheese.
- 8Leftovers are even better the second day, and freeze well.
Browse Our Top Spinach Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Italian Tomato Florentine Soup
Serving Size: 1 (306 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 464.7
- Calories from Fat 276
- Total Fat 30.7 g
- Saturated Fat 12.0 g
- Cholesterol 58.9 mg
- Sodium 1613.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 17.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.6 g
- Sugars 8.5 g
- Protein 25.6 g
The following items or measurements are not included: