Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 1 hr
Cook 15 mins
I've worked long and hard on making a good cheeseless Italian calzone.
Make and share this Italian Vegan Calzones (Soy-Free) recipe from Food.com.
- 4 tablespoons cornmeal (for dusting cookie sheet)
- 1 1⁄2 lbs whole wheat pizza dough
- 4 medium vine-ripened tomatoes, diced
- 1 green bell pepper, chopped
- 1 cup fresh spinach, chopped
- 1 small zucchini, diced
- 1 cup cremini mushroom, chopped
- 2 tablespoons freeze- dried basil
- 1 tablespoon dried thyme
- 1 tablespoon fennel seed
- 1 teaspoon dried red pepper flakes
- 1 small onion, diced
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil
- 1⁄4 cup white wine
- 1⁄4 cup kalamata olive, chopped
- 3 pieces marinated artichoke hearts, wedges, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon salt (or to taste)
- 3 tablespoons chickpea flour (aka "besan" or garbanzo flour)
- Preheat oven to 375. Dust two cookie sheets with cornmeal.
- Set aside dough; toss all other ingredients together (taste for desired saltiness before adding chickpea flour--the flour tastes very beany and disagreeable before it's cooked, but it absorbs the juices well and is a creamy substitute for cheese after it's cooked).
- Roll dough thinly. Cut in dough into circles using the reverse side of the calzone press. Flour the dough surface that will contact the calzone press. Arrange dough on press. Fill with appropriate amount of mix. Dampen edges of dough with water so they will stick together. Close calzone press to form calzones. Arrange calzones on cookie sheets, poking the tines of a fork once through the top of each calzone to vent.
- Bake 15 minutes or until golden.