Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
This is something that John enjoys cooking when it's his turn, it's great with a glass of wine. You can serve it as a sandwich or over pasta.
- 4 Italian sausages
- 1 yellow pepper, cut into strips
- 1 green pepper, cut into strips
- 1 red pepper, cut into strips
- 1 vidalia onion, cut into strips
- 1⁄2 jar marinara sauce
- 1⁄2 cup red wine, i use merlot
- 1 pinch sugar
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 pinch oregano
- oil (for sauteing)
- butter, just a bit
- Boil the sausages, drain.
- Brown the sausages in a little bit of butter.
- Saute the peppers and onions in a little bit of oil.
- Add the remaining ingredients and simmer 5-10 minutes, until the sauce thickens.
- Pour the sauce over the sausages and serve with crusty bread.
This is a great recipe. You can add so many twist to this to fit your family's tastes. I put 2 cleaned jalapeno peppers and 1 whole mild green chili and 1/2 a vidalia onion in the blender and pulsed about 4 times. I then added this mixture to the marinara sauce. I also used hot sausage like others suggested.
Like one of the reviewers said, Hot Italian Sausage would really make this pop! A very easy recipe but so good everytime. Those pictures posted by Bergy are great too. Thanks for sharing!
I love sausage & peppers and this recipe didn't let me down. I used Marsala wine that really mellowed out the peppers and added a pinch of chili flakes. I had some cooked noodles that I added right into the pan. Very enjoyable dinner - Thanks for posting