This is my signature pizza creation, set apart from your ordinary pepperoni and mushroom pizza by the fennel seeds and Tipsy Fat-Free Microwave -Sauteed Mushrooms #323900. I first read about fennel seeds when DH was given a spice set; fennel is supposed to aid the digestion of fatty things such as pepperoni and reduce GERD. We enjoy the slight anise-flavored crunch taste sensation, and DH's picky-eater son has embraced fennel seeds as well. Portabello mushrooms benefit from some precooking before loading as toppings; to avoid adding even more fat to my cheesy pizza, I began "sauteeing" my mushrooms in dry sherry in the microwave, as in Tipsy Fat-Free Microwave -Sauteed Mushrooms #323900. In a pinch, I use drained canned mushroom slices, but that hint of sherry flavor of the Tipsy Mushrooms really sets off my signature pizza. I use half mozzarella and half Sargent's shredded 6-cheese Italian blend for my ultimate pizza, but you can use whatever mix of cheeses you prefer. We strongly prefer Margarita sliced pepperoni over Hormel's. DH and I always loved Boboli pizza crust and Boboli pizza sauce; if you want even bolder "manly" taste, I recommend using 2Bleu's Buddha's Pizza Pie Crust #265466 and 2bleu's 2 Minute 2 Easy Pizza Sauce #255242. Cheese lovers will want to increase the amount of cheese, I gave the standard amount.
- 1 Boboli pizza crust, thin crust pizza (or Buddha's Pizza Pie Crust #265466)
- 1⁄2 cup boboli pizza sauce (5 ounces, or 2bleu's 2 Minute 2 Easy Pizza Sauce #255242)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fennel seed
- 1 cup pre-shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1 cup Italian cheese blend, such as Sargento shredded Italian 6-cheese blend
- 18 slices pepperoni, preferably Margarita brand (or any good pepperoni)
- 2 cups mushrooms, sauteed (from Tipsy Fat-Free Microwave -Sauteed Mushrooms #323900)
- If making own pizza crust and/or pizza sauce, prepare them first.
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees Fahrenheit, or follow directions for pizza cooker.
- Spread pizza sauce over browned side of Boboli crust.
- Sprinkle fennel seeds over pizza. Sprinkle mozzarella cheese over pizza, followed by special gourmet-blend cheese.
- Lay out 12 slices of pepperoni around the outer edge of the pizza, then distribute the 6 remaining slices on an inner circle. Voila, you have marked your pizza for 6 slices!
- Prepare Tipsy Fat-Free Microwave -Sauteed Mushrooms (Recipe#323900), in which 2 cups of sliced mushrooms are cooked in 1/2 cup dry sherry for 2 1/2 to 3 minutes in the microwave, and then drained. (We love Portabello mushrooms on our pizza and the slight hint of sherry drives us wild. For a pantry-raid pizza, drained canned sliced mushrooms will do in a pinch, although it's not as good.).
- Distribute sauteed mushrooms over top of pizza. I try to be artistic.
- Bake at 450 degrees Fahrenheit for 12-15 minutes, or until cheese starts to brown. (If using directions from Recipe#255466 #255466, I found that 10 minutes at 500 degrees was a bit too long.).
- Cut into 6 slices and serve hot.
This is a yummy pizza! It was very simple to make and tasted great. I love the combination of pepperoni and mushrooms! Thanks for sharing!
I have to give this 5 stars just for the mushrooms in this recipe. They were just what my pepperoni pizza has been yearning for. I used my own pizza crust and sauce, and I can't say enough. Yum! Thanks for sharing your recipe.
This was a tasty pizza. I used red wine to "sautee" my mushrooms in but I would have preferred the flavor of a broth I think. I would definitely do it differently next time. Over all though it's a great pizza! Thanks for posting!