1 hr 30 mins
Melissa Nunnink's Note:
This was originally my Mom's recipe and used to be a favorite when we were kids. I always requested it for my Birthday dinner.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1/2 lb Italian sausage (I use Spicy Turkey sausage)
- 1/2 lb ground beef (I use ground Turkey breast)
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic, about
- 1 tablespoon dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt (I usually use less than this)
- 1 (1 lb) can whole tomato (Cut up and use the juice also)
- 2 (6 ounce) cans tomato paste
- 2 cups ricotta cheese or 1 (10 ounce) carton ricotta cheese (I use the low fat version)
- 1 cup cottage cheese (lowfat or non-fat)
- 1/2 cup parmesan cheese
- 2 tablespoons parsley flakes
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- lasagna noodle, cooked (Just enough for two layers in a large Glass Pyrex baking pan)
- 1 lb mozzarella cheese, grated
- 1Brown the sausage and ground meat and drain all the fat.
- 2Add all the other ingredients for the meat filling and simmer on the stove, uncovered, for about 1/2 hour.
- 3I usually add a bay leaf or two.
- 4Mix up the cheese filling and set aside in fridge until ready to use.
- 5Put the noodles in salted water and cook until soft when poked with a fork.
- 6When the noodles are done, drain the noodles and rinse off with cold water so they can be handled easily.
- 7Spray the baking pan with a non-stick spray and put a layer of noodles down on the bottom of the pan. It is OK to cut some of the noodles to fit into the pan if they do not fit whole.
- 8Spread half the cheese filling over the noodels, then half of the mozarella cheese on top of that, then half of the meat sauce over the grated mozarella cheese.
- 9REPEAT layers and then top with more mozarella cheese.
- 10Bake at 375 degrees for 30 minutes. Let stand for 10 minutes before cutting into it.
- 11Leftovers can be easily stored in the freezer.
Browse Our Top Pasta, Rice and Grains Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Pasta, Rice and Grains Recipes
Nutritional Facts for "KILLER" Lasagna
Serving Size: 1 (172 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 12
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 370.5
- Calories from Fat 223
- Total Fat 24.8 g
- Saturated Fat 12.8 g
- Cholesterol 115.9 mg
- Sodium 1371.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 10.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.9 g
- Sugars 5.3 g
- Protein 26.6 g