Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
This was originally my Mom's recipe and used to be a favorite when we were kids. I always requested it for my Birthday dinner.
- 1⁄2 lb Italian sausage (I use Spicy Turkey sausage)
- 1⁄2 lb ground beef (I use ground Turkey breast)
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic, about
- 1 tablespoon dried basil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt (I usually use less than this)
- 1 (1 lb) can whole tomato (Cut up and use the juice also)
- 2 (6 ounce) cans tomato paste
- 2 cups ricotta cheese or 1 (10 ounce) carton ricotta cheese (I use the low fat version)
- 1 cup cottage cheese (lowfat or non-fat)
- 1⁄2 cup parmesan cheese
- 2 tablespoons parsley flakes
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- lasagna noodle, cooked (Just enough for two layers in a large Glass Pyrex baking pan)
- 1 lb mozzarella cheese, grated
- Brown the sausage and ground meat and drain all the fat.
- Add all the other ingredients for the meat filling and simmer on the stove, uncovered, for about 1/2 hour.
- I usually add a bay leaf or two.
- Mix up the cheese filling and set aside in fridge until ready to use.
- Put the noodles in salted water and cook until soft when poked with a fork.
- When the noodles are done, drain the noodles and rinse off with cold water so they can be handled easily.
- Spray the baking pan with a non-stick spray and put a layer of noodles down on the bottom of the pan. It is OK to cut some of the noodles to fit into the pan if they do not fit whole.
- Spread half the cheese filling over the noodels, then half of the mozarella cheese on top of that, then half of the meat sauce over the grated mozarella cheese.
- REPEAT layers and then top with more mozarella cheese.
- Bake at 375 degrees for 30 minutes. Let stand for 10 minutes before cutting into it.
- Leftovers can be easily stored in the freezer.
I used ground beef and pepperoni and it was great! Make sure you let the lasagna set for about 15 minutes after taking out of the oven, so it comes out in pieces rather than sliding out onto your plate in a glob!
This lasagne is really "Killer"! My son told me this was the best lasagne he has ever eaten! What a compliment... especially from him :-) The only change I made was the addition of pepperoni slices. The dish turned out excellent! It WILL be made again in this household!
My husband is a very picky eater, but he loves this lasagna! I have used both ground turkey and ground beef and it's great either way. It's fairly simple to make and chances are, you won't have to worry about finding a place for leftovers. It definitely is "killer."