Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
This was originally my Mom's recipe and used to be a favorite when we were kids. I always requested it for my Birthday dinner.
- 1⁄2 lb Italian sausage (I use Spicy Turkey sausage)
- 1⁄2 lb ground beef (I use ground Turkey breast)
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic, about
- 1 tablespoon dried basil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt (I usually use less than this)
- 1 (1 lb) can whole tomato (Cut up and use the juice also)
- 2 (6 ounce) cans tomato paste
- 2 cups ricotta cheese or 1 (10 ounce) carton ricotta cheese (I use the low fat version)
- 1 cup cottage cheese (lowfat or non-fat)
- 1⁄2 cup parmesan cheese
- 2 tablespoons parsley flakes
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- lasagna noodle, cooked (Just enough for two layers in a large Glass Pyrex baking pan)
- 1 lb mozzarella cheese, grated
- Brown the sausage and ground meat and drain all the fat.
- Add all the other ingredients for the meat filling and simmer on the stove, uncovered, for about 1/2 hour.
- I usually add a bay leaf or two.
- Mix up the cheese filling and set aside in fridge until ready to use.
- Put the noodles in salted water and cook until soft when poked with a fork.
- When the noodles are done, drain the noodles and rinse off with cold water so they can be handled easily.
- Spray the baking pan with a non-stick spray and put a layer of noodles down on the bottom of the pan. It is OK to cut some of the noodles to fit into the pan if they do not fit whole.
- Spread half the cheese filling over the noodels, then half of the mozarella cheese on top of that, then half of the meat sauce over the grated mozarella cheese.
- REPEAT layers and then top with more mozarella cheese.
- Bake at 375 degrees for 30 minutes. Let stand for 10 minutes before cutting into it.
- Leftovers can be easily stored in the freezer.