1/3 Photos of Kumquat's Kookin' Kaboodles' Limone Pistachio Gelato
8 hrs 15 mins
Sue Lau's Note:
Posted for the ZWT4-- Frozen Italian Dessert Challenge-- Part 1, this is an unusual and unique gelato recipe with some ingredients that are not necessarily traditional. Although lemon and pistachio are typical of fine Italian cuisine by their Mediterranean character, the ingredients take a curve ball by using both buttermilk and lemon yogurt to give both a solid base and a nice tartness to accentuate the lemon flavor. The Splenda was made as an option to accomodate those with special dietary needs,and the egg yolks and heavy cream, while not traditional, provide richness and act as a stabilzer for this yummy frozen dessert.
My Private Note
quart ( ...
Units: US | Metric
- 1Whisk together the buttermilk, cream, yogurt and 3/4 cup Splenda granular in a mixing bowl until smooth.
- 2Take one cup of milk mixture and place in another bowl. To this add egg yolks, one at a time, whisking well after each addition.
- 3Pour the other 3 cups or so of the milk mixture into a saucepan and whisk in the lemon zest and juice as well as the remaining 3/4 cup Splenda granular. Heat over low heat, stirring constantly, until mixture just begins to boil. Remove from heat and allow to cool for five minutes.
- 4Take one cup of the heated milk mixture and add it gradually to the egg mixture in small amounts, whisking constantly.
- 5Return egg mixture to heated mixture in saucepan gradually, whisking constantly.
- 6Heat custard mixture over low heat until mixture becomes thick but not quite boiling. Remove from heat and allow to cool.
- 7Pour custard into a suitable covered container and refrigerate overnight.
- 8The next day, pour mixture into prepared and ready ice cream maker and follow your machines instructions.
- 9Add 1 cups chopped pistachios as gelato thickens.
- 10Allow to firm up further in the freezer for several hours until firm as you like.
Browse Our Top Frozen Desserts Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Kumquat's Kookin' Kaboodles' Limone Pistachio Gelato
Serving Size: 1 (121 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 354.8
- Calories from Fat 270
- Total Fat 30.0 g
- Saturated Fat 12.4 g
- Cholesterol 307.7 mg
- Sodium 153.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 17.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 5.5 g
- Sugars 3.7 g
- Protein 10.6 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
Dannon light & fit lemon chiffon yogurt