Prep 20 mins
Cook 40 mins
Why wait until you have company to enjoy lasagna! This recipe can easily be cut down to serve two, or doubled to serve a crowd!
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 lb sweet Italian sausage (ground beef or pork sausage can be used if italian sausage is not available)
- 1 medium diced onion
- 1 diced green pepper
- 2 minced garlic cloves
- 1 (28 ounce) jar marinara sauce (or 4 cups of In Search of the Ultimate Spaghetti/Pizza/Pasta Sauce)
- 2 teaspoons minced fresh basil (1 teaspoon if using dry)
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1 teaspoon mccormick spicy steak seasoning (omit if using spiced Italian sausage or you do not want it 'kicked up a notch')
- 12 lasagna noodles (or Perfect Egg Pasta)
- 1 egg
- 2 cups ricotta cheese (or Homemade Ricotta Cheese (Crock Pot))
- 1 1⁄2 cups parmesan cheese (Cotija, also called queso anejado can be used)
- 1 1⁄2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese (In Mexico, asadero or chihuahua can be used)
- Meat Sauce:.
- Sprinkle Italian sausage with steak seasoning (if desired).
- Brown sausage, onions, garlic and green peppers in olive oil.
- Do not over cook, just until meat is no longer pink.
- Drain any excess grease.
- Add marinara sauce, basil, oregano, salt, and simmer for 30 minutes or until thick.
- Bring a large pot of salted water, with 2 tablespoons oil, to boil; drop in noodles and cook until al dente (do not overcook). Drain and arrange on cookie sheet so they do not stick together.
- Spray 9 x 13 baking dish with non-stick cooking oil.
- Spread 1/2 of meat sauce on bottom.
- Cheese Filling:.
- In medium mixing bowl add ricotta cheese, egg and 1 cup parmesan cheese; mix by hand until smooth (mixture should be a little fluffy).
- Spread 1/4 cup of cheese mixture on each noodle and roll up jelly roll fashion; place seam side down on meat sauce.
- Spread remaining sauce over lasagna rolls and sprinkle mozarella and remaining parmesan cheese over top.
- Cover and bake at 375 degrees for 25 minutes, or until sauce is bubbly.
- Remove lid and bake additional 15 minutes.
- Allow to cool 10 minutes before serving.
This was very good! I used Marina Quick Marinara Sauce as this is one I had in the freezer. I did change the recipe some but I am still giving it 5 stars as I still pretty much followed it. My cheese filling consisted of 2 cups ricotta, 5 oz light cream cheese and a 9 oz box of frozen spinach (squeezed dry) and the egg. I then topped it with the sauce recipe and in that I used some chicken Italian sausage. I then topped that with 1 cup mozzarella and 1/2 cup parmesan cheese. It was delicious! Thanks so much for posting...this is a keeper for us!